UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Noooob looking to buy. Advise please

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

(already undercover)
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Or, to avoid the occasional engine issues with later versions, get the handling associated with earlier versions, without having as much ARB-induced 'snap' and have the best looking wheels, go for a 04-05 with aftermarket coilovers.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Or, to avoid the occasional engine issues with later versions, get the handling associated with earlier versions, without having as much ARB-induced 'snap' and have the best looking wheels, go for a 04-05 with aftermarket coilovers.
Agreed

I'll let you all know how I get on. I know i'm going to struggle to find the car for around £7k, but im determined.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM

I was in this same situation for a month looking for mine. I became a cl, eBay, cars, and autotrader regular. I wanted a ap2, but more importantly I wanted a clean s for the best value.

I ended up with a 03 GPW, and even though it doesn't have updated bumper, lights, and wheels I couldn't be happier. Don't get stick on those features.

Get the cleanest one and lowest miles for the price no matter what the year. They're all amazing in their own way!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 AM

I was the same as you when i was looking, decided on a mint 53 plate then I bought the wheels, tailpipes and soon to be front bumper from the MY04 car. Job done! I could do the lights but in my opinion then dont make a big difference. Its the wheels that transform the look.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 PM

have you got a glacier white gtt?i reconise your online name(rtoc)been a member of rtoc for years,really do miss my 5 gt turbo(might end up with another oneday )
oh yeah,the 04 s2000,s are by far the best
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by steveSC2
have you got a glacier white gtt?i reconise your online name(rtoc)been a member of rtoc for years,really do miss my 5 gt turbo(might end up with another oneday )
Yeah Steve, thats me. The 5 is in pieces at the minute, i've had a lot on in my personal life and moving house has meant it's not been touched for nearly 6 months. I decided an engine rebuild was in order after Mallory last summer when I drove home with a suspicious knocking noise. All the parts are ready to go, and i have bought a replacement block, its just having the time to work on it. Its in storage at the minute but should be moved within the next month so i can get my hands dirty.

Always liked the S2000's but i was put off by high insurance premiums. Turns out all i needed to do was phone Adrian Flux and forget the comparison websites. I still go on RTOC most days, but with no work on my car at the minute i'm not that active on posts.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
04s don't drive as well as the earlier cars IMO. They are quieter, more comfortable, have better gearboxes and are better daily drivers. But if you want to thrash it on some lumpy B roads 00-03 or 08-09

(Runs for cover)
There's a mixture of personal taste, inter year rivalry and fact in that statement

I've owned an MY00 and an MY04. I preferred the MY04 on both road and track but there's not a lot in it.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by J8TRO
Originally Posted by steveSC2' timestamp='1335304177' post='21639423
Yeah Steve, thats me. The 5 is in pieces at the minute, i've had a lot on in my personal life and moving house has meant it's not been touched for nearly 6 months. I decided an engine rebuild was in order after Mallory last summer when I drove home with a suspicious knocking noise. All the parts are ready to go, and i have bought a replacement block, its just having the time to work on it. Its in storage at the minute but should be moved within the next month so i can get my hands dirty.

Always liked the S2000's but i was put off by high insurance premiums. Turns out all i needed to do was phone Adrian Flux and forget the comparison websites. I still go on RTOC most days, but with no work on my car at the minute i'm not that active on posts.
i think thats part of the fun owning a 5,also parts are dirt cheap compared to aftermarket s2000 parts
have you tried classic line insurance??i rang around loads of places inclueding adrian flux and the best i could get was around £800 then classicline came up trumps at £510 fully comp and my s2000 is supercharged
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 AM

Yeah the 5 is cheap as chips....plus it costs me £114 a year to insure!

I havent tried classic line but will give them a try. I need business use on my policy and cover 12k+ miles a year. AF have quoted me £585 including protected NCB and a load of other extras, i dont think thats too bad. I'm 30 and the car is currently being parked on the road.

Quick Reply: Noooob looking to buy. Advise please