UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Noise

Old 01-13-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

I have tried to read up on this and many seem to have noises from differentials and other things. i have a noise on mine and had the same thing on my dc2 integra type r,when i let off the gas in gear, i get a noise and then it goes when i take it out of gear. This sounds normal but i always worry about any noise i am unsure of. Do others have this, any ideas what causes it?

Sorry for my ignorance on this one

Ben
Old 01-13-2006, 08:41 AM

What kind of noise? I know it's hard to describe,

From the conditions you mentioned, being on gas and in gear, I seem to have a soft flapping noise, it is very quiet and have to listen to it very hard over the road/engine noise.

I'm not sure what causes it, maybe someone else will shed some light.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 AM

just a bit of whining but almost sounds like it should happen, again this sounds silly!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's exactly the same. There's a thing in the FAQ about the clutch rattling under in gear deceleration on the early S2Ks, which was fixed with a replacement clutch. Guess we both have it.

You don't notice it nearly as much with the roof down.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Can you post a picture of the noise? it helps identify what it is on a forum
Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jan 14 2006, 01:01 PM
Can you post a picture of the noise? it helps identify what it is on a forum

Old 01-14-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say take it out of gear do you mean put it in neutral or put the clutch in?

It's relevant since it could help isolate whether the noise is transmission or engine for example.

Could be a large number of things since When you lift the car is driving the engine instead of the engine driving the car. That means a lot.

For example if you've ever noticed when you're climbing a hill in the car at constant revs the engine noise gets louder. This is because the torque forces the engine harder onto the engine mounts and hence transfers more vibration and noise to the chassis. When you lift off the throttle the reverse happens.

Any other descriptions would be useful for diagnostics. such as whether it's from the engine (i.e. ahead of you), the gearbox (beside you), the differential (behind you)? Does it happen only when you're going for it or under any conditions? anything like that
Old 01-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mine was from the rear, so I assumed the clutch thing, but now seem to get a louder buzzing from the front under the same conditions, which is a worry. Is it possible that the clutch vibration is transmitted forwards and makes something in the console buzz?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Ben it sounds like the clutch plate is rattling.

When i first bought mine and i accelerated and then came off the power but leaving it in gear it sounded like an exhaust rattle to me but infact was the clutch plate which i had changed under Honda Care warranty.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 13 2006, 09:48 AM
Mine's exactly the same. There's a thing in the FAQ about the clutch rattling under in gear deceleration on the early S2Ks, which was fixed with a replacement clutch. Guess we both have it.

You don't notice it nearly as much with the roof down.

I have the same noise and asked the same question on here a couple of months or so ago, someone explained that is was the clutch - but nothing to worry about. I noticed that the noise seems more pronounced for a period after being in vtec.

Quick Reply: Noise