UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: No of times your car has been deliberately damaged
Never
66.67%
Once
18.18%
Twice
15.15%
3 times
0%
4 times
0%
More then 5 times (Aaaaaaah)
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

No of times your car has been deliberately damaged

Old 12-18-2004, 04:05 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LLOYDJ,Dec 18 2004, 10:56 AM
I can't understand why people buy an 'S' and never drive it because of a bit of water on the road
I'll help you then.

The car cannot be driven as quickly in the wet as in the dry. If you like driving the car FAST, using Vtec at every opportunity, etc, then you can only do this safely in the dry. Drive the way you do in the dry when it's wet and you will lose it.

I'm not someone who thinks that the S is lethal in the wet, but for me the pleasure is in taking advantage of the stupendous dry grip.

There's also the little matter of rain on your head. I tend to drive topless, or not at all. Cold isn't a problem, but rain most certainly is.

Lastly, it's a pampered toy, and I don't play with my toys in the rain.

If you have to drive the car every day, fair enough. But not everyone does, or wants to, and neither group is 'right'.

PS - only one suspected bit of malicious damage - but could have been someone being clumsy. Scratch on rear bumper - easily repaired invisibly.

It's parked off the road and rarely left unattended, so I would be unlucky to get it keyed, etc.

If you have a 'nice' car, it's only a matter of time IMO.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 scratches on my car. I've got 3 now as someone decided to try and reshape the passenger wing

I don't think any were deliberate but I'll never know.

I always try to park my car in the "safest" place possible. But after all it's a car and shit happens.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mikdys,Dec 18 2004, 03:37 AM
I don't think the S attracts as much attention as, say, a Porsche or large BMw would but having said that I still practice "defensive parking". I also try to limit the number of "dodgy places" that I visit (EG I never take it shopping, or to "rough areas" unless I am put under extreme duress by SWMBO).

It appears to me that Jap cars are less of a target for this sort of thing but in a "rough area" every car in the street can get hit irrespective of marque. When away on business in a large city once I went out to my car in the morning (company "beater" so it didn't matter to me) and every car in the street (maybe 30 or so) had graffiti scratched into the paint or smashed windows, or both. Most of the cars had been given only minor attention though, compared to a Saab soft-top which had every single panel scribed with very offensive (sexual) graffiti and the hood slashed and both side windows broken.

My advice would be to baby your car in a garage and use a "beater" when you have to go anywher like this.
Interesting point

But Im not sure about yur claim that BMWs and porshes. I think M3s, M5s boxsters wont attract that much attention because there are here ,there and everywhere. S2000s are much rarer. When I parked at work, some of my colleagues were coming up to me and giving compliments even though I hadent told them I had bought the car. I think its good that the car attracts some attention but not to the stage where you come back to the car and there is crowd hanging around there(like a brand new lambo gallardo I saw parked in a not so nice area in Rochdale last month).
Old 12-18-2004, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Dec 17 2004, 05:18 PM
you lot need to drive your car more.

72k in 2 years, motorways, non motorways, wind rain snow sun ice. It's all about driving the car how it should be driven, in different conditions
Respect to u

Yur not one of these people who lives and sleeps their own car are you