UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: No of times your car has been deliberately damaged
Never
66.67%
Once
18.18%
Twice
15.15%
3 times
0%
4 times
0%
More then 5 times (Aaaaaaah)
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

No of times your car has been deliberately damaged

Old 12-17-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once. vandals on arran
Old 12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

does this apply to seaguls?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by P 1,Dec 17 2004, 09:40 AM
I am seriously protective about my S, and would never leave it anywhere where I thought there was a chance of damage, intentional or otherwise.
You see I am at that stage at the moment. In my opinion I would rather underdrive the car then risk possible damage. I think the S2000 is not the ideal dailly driver anyway and I think driving the car in severely wet/icy conditions and heavy moterway miles is not suited for the car. Just my observatins I,ve picked up in the first week
Old 12-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my son jumped on the bonnet once... wasn't really deliberate but hardly an accident either, however did help to justify replacing for a carbon one..
Old 12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
P 1

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger,Dec 17 2004, 10:58 PM
You see I am at that stage at the moment. In my opinion I would rather underdrive the car then risk possible damage. I think the S2000 is not the ideal dailly driver anyway and I think driving the car in severely wet/icy conditions and heavy moterway miles is not suited for the car. Just my observatins I,ve picked up in the first week
Certailny whilst it is nearly new and you are unfamiliar with its handling / limits underdriving the car is a good approach. A year into ownership I still treat mine with what someone once referred to as "mechanical sympathy", although this car is designed to rev, and I'm quite happy to let it have its legs without worry of damage now its about run in. I'm new to RWD though (apart from an F reg Fiat 500!) so I still don't push beyond my abilities.
I can't reallycomment on its suitability as a daily driver as mine is a weekends and special events machine, but there are plenty of folk on here who would testify to its capabilities as an every day drive. I have done some big motorway drives, and the S loves it. Effortless fast motoring.
In the wet / ice, I would suggest it just needs a sensible head and a light right foot and you should be fine.
Wish mine was just a week old
Old 12-17-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by P 1,Dec 17 2004, 03:36 PM
Certailny whilst it is nearly new and you are unfamiliar with its handling / limits underdriving the car is a good approach. A year into ownership I still treat mine with what someone once referred to as "mechanical sympathy", although this car is designed to rev, and I'm quite happy to let it have its legs without worry of damage now its about run in. I'm new to RWD though (apart from an F reg Fiat 500!) so I still don't push beyond my abilities.
I can't reallycomment on its suitability as a daily driver as mine is a weekends and special events machine, but there are plenty of folk on here who would testify to its capabilities as an every day drive. I have done some big motorway drives, and the S loves it. Effortless fast motoring.
In the wet / ice, I would suggest it just needs a sensible head and a light right foot and you should be fine.
Wish mine was just a week old
Good point P1

This is my first big jump into a true sports car so I am taking it very easy.

If I had come from CTR,CRX background I would probably not be respecting the car as much as I am doing. I certainly will be testing the car closer to the limit when the breakin period ends, but certaily not in icy/wet dark nights in December
Old 12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

you lot need to drive your car more.

72k in 2 years, motorways, non motorways, wind rain snow sun ice. It's all about driving the car how it should be driven, in different conditions

Old 12-18-2004, 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=AquilaEagle,Dec 18 2004, 01:18 AM]
Old 12-18-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had it keyed right the way down the passenger side about 8 months ago I think it was.

I try not to let anything like that affect me too much (plus I wouldn't get to go see some people if I did since it's my only car).

Anyway I think the S has some definate advantages to other cars in bad weather. Considering I nearly parked it in the rear windscreen of a CTR a few weeks ago and I doubt any other car I've owned would have saved my bacon.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the S attracts as much attention as, say, a Porsche or large BMw would but having said that I still practice "defensive parking". I also try to limit the number of "dodgy places" that I visit (EG I never take it shopping, or to "rough areas" unless I am put under extreme duress by SWMBO).

It appears to me that Jap cars are less of a target for this sort of thing but in a "rough area" every car in the street can get hit irrespective of marque. When away on business in a large city once I went out to my car in the morning (company "beater" so it didn't matter to me) and every car in the street (maybe 30 or so) had graffiti scratched into the paint or smashed windows, or both. Most of the cars had been given only minor attention though, compared to a Saab soft-top which had every single panel scribed with very offensive (sexual) graffiti and the hood slashed and both side windows broken.

My advice would be to baby your car in a garage and use a "beater" when you have to go anywher like this.

Quick Reply: No of times your car has been deliberately damaged