UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

No power going to speakers?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power going to speakers?

Hi all,

I know there has been a million and one posts on audio but i havnt seen my problem posted before. If its been discussed please point me in the right direction and accept my apologies;

I have Alpine speakers and Tweeters fitted to my '00 S200 but over the past few months the sound has began to deteriorate untill eventually i had no sound at all. By deteriorate i mean the sound coming through the speakers was like an untuned radio, lots of hissing and fizzing as opposed to the sound just fading away.

Now i can still hear a very faint intermittant fuzzy sound from the speakers when i turn on the radio but that is all.

Anyway, i brought it to an audio specialiast (IceTronix) at the weekend and they took the door card off and tested the power coming through the wire into the speaker. They told me there was no power coming to the speaker and that it could either be a problem with the head unit, the wiring or the speaker or all three. They want to take it in some weekend to investigate but cannot say exactly how much it will cost as it will depend on how long it takes to fix.

What i would like to know is has anybody experienced this and if there is anything i can try to do myself to fix it? Is it possible to buy new speaker wires from Honda and replace the old ones?

Apologies for the long winded question! Any help really appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Alan.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Almost certainly the wiring, and something has become disconnected. Should take them 10 minutes to check it.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Yea sounds like bs to me. It's not that hard to test speakers and a wiring. It's certainly not a weekend job, a couple of hours max. Pm me if you need a hand
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM
tej

What headunit? Could be dodgy wiring but with both sides going at the same time I'm almost thinking its an amplification issue? Depending on what sort of protection circuitry it has, it may just be something like low voltage causing the fuzzy noise as the amp isn't able to do its job.. So I'd check it isn't something as simple as a bad earth?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the replys lads. The headunit is a standard one, so 10 years old now. Both speakers are gone dead but still an intermittant rumbling from the passenger speaker and nothing from the driver speaker.

Tej, what do you mean by an amplification issue? Do you think something has blown within the head unit? How do i check this? Ive no idea about circuit protection so not sure what you are getting at!!?

@ Leftfootbraking cheers for the offer mate, i have a friend of a friend looking at it this evening so hopefully will know more by tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 AM

One more thing check your window seals if they are damaged they let in water and trip the amp out by corroding the speaker cables
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 AM

Ah yes... i think this could be an issue all right... The speakers have slight rust damage so the water is definitely getting in. I presume the amp is in the headunit?? Or is there one built into the speaker? Sorry for my ignorance!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 AM

I had this problem a few weeks back.
The seal along my drivers window was letting in water and the corrosion on the speaker wires caused the amp inside the speaker to trip out. Once I replaced the seal and cleaned the speaker wires everything has been perfect.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by leftfootbraking,Sep 22 2010, 04:13 AM
I had this problem a few weeks back.
The seal along my drivers window was letting in water and the corrosion on the speaker wires caused the amp inside the speaker to trip out. Once I replaced the seal and cleaned the speaker wires everything has been perfect.
Has somebody look at it last night and was exactly as you said... connections to the speakers were fried due to water getting in... Have a temp speaker in place untill i get new ones sorted.

Looks like im goinna have to replace the seals... is this a big job and where did you get the parts from?

Thanks for all the replies, extremely helpful as usual.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear you got sorted

I got a new window seal from Honda it was about €80 IIRC. You'll need to strip the door to get a proper view, as there are 4 or 5 plastic clips that hold it on. A small philips screw driver, a larger flat screw driver and a boat load of patience will see you a long way. And don't be tempted to just force the new one on as the clips can be bent the wrong way a snap very easily.