UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

No power... but the battery's fine. Help (again!)

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power... but the battery's fine. Help (again!)

OK - you may remember my issues recently caused by a flat battery triggering the alarm (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=643118)

With that sorted (and a couple of rides under its belt) all seemed to be going well. Then yesterday I drove a few miles and parked up. On the way, a little while after I had 3 bars I briefly tried to hit VTEC and got a hard limiter and a flash of a light on the dash (think it said EPC). I assumed that I needed a bit of an oil top up. Also en route the dash gave a little flicker... but other than that all was fine.

As I parked up and turned off the ignition something seemed odd. Normally while the key is still in the green key light flashes, but the screen was completely blank. I tried turning the key back to the on position, and still nothing. I tried all electrics and the only thing at all that worked was the hazzard lights (and they were bright as normal).

I checked the battery connections and they were secure.

I called out the AA, and 15 mins later while still waiting I noticed the interior lights come on - I tried the power again and all was restored! I drove home, parked up. Tried turning off the power... on again... all fine. Very odd.

Today I thought I'd take her out for a drive. Got in turned on, all fine... and then a flicker of the display. Turned off.... and then nothing. Power gone.

And this time it's gone for hours.... and still off.

Any thoughts?!?!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Alternator?

I left my lights on in my old s2000... everything lights up but got a horrible clicking sound when I turned the ignition... everything dimmed and flickered on the dash....

check the battery has water in it if its a water battery.... if not something is not right... maybe a short draining the power?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM

oh and never Vtec till the car has hot oil in it....

I drive for a tleast 20 mins before vtec... The dash temp is for water... oil takes longer to heat up....
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Starter motor or alternator maybe.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dodgy earth connection?
Maplin sell a useful cheap gadget for testing the battery and alternator, might at least exclude the obvious.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM

the aa should test all these - just call them out and let them do it !
Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 AM

did the AA guy not turn up the 1st time or did you cancel?... The RAC came and fitted a new battery to my Passat... It was dead as a dodo and not holding charge... He also pointed out it was the wrong battery for the car and fitted a new one... Check battery has enough charge in it 1st... Then check its holding charge... An earth will be harder to chase down... My money says the alternator is FUBAR....
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM

The battery has loads of charge - it's brand new, and was quite happy to start the engine the after first time it went wrong...
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look around the under bonnet fuse boxes.
The main power from the battery positive is routed via a 100A and then a 40a fuse and connectors.
The hazard lights are fed from a point prior to this so they will still work.
You may have a broken ignition switch or wiring harness connection to it.

Not easy to find this one methinks.

Quick Reply: No power... but the battery's fine. Help (again!)