UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

No heating / engine over heating

Old 10-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heating / engine over heating

Heater not working or intermittent and the engine is getting too wam
Is it thermostat or water pump.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

air bubble?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Take the rad cap off, run it up to temperature, if you can see the water moving the pump and stat are OK.
If it's not moving, take the stat out and put it in a pan of boiling water, if it opens it's OK if not it's fubar.
If you do the rad cap off test with the stat out you will be able to see if the pump is working.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies will try without stat and make sure it's bled well . Just a bit worried where the coolants gone. Can not see any leaks and None of signs It may be the head gasket. Just have to keep an eye on it. I will let you know how I get on.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bevy
Thanks for the replies will try without stat and make sure it's bled well . Just a bit worried where the coolants gone. Can not see any leaks and None of signs It may be the head gasket. Just have to keep an eye on it. I will let you know how I get on.
If you've lost coolant then the radiator will start to suck in air through the expansion bottle. You've probably got a massive air lock in the coolant system now. I would be tempted to let it all cool down and rebleed the entire system and check again for leaks.

If it was going through the headgasket then i would expect a sump full of mayo or loads and loads of condensation out of the exhaust.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

It's easy to get air locks on the S2. I've just had same after replacing rad switch and coolant. Initially no heater then after bleeding got heater hot for a while then goes warm. Then engine started getting too hot.

Check your top hose gets hot, if not stat stuck. I ended up bleeding the system with the funnel sealed in the rad and coolant bubbling up and down. Eventually got a big rise in coolant which looked like it would overflow, before it suddenly was drawn back in. After a few more runs around the block, stopping and then cracking of air past the bleed screw it was all sorted.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe stating the obvious but do not drive this car until you get it sorted, sounds like an airlock to me as (others have said) an overheating F20c is a timebomb.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM
G.E

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Park facing uphill and bleed from here:
Name:  IMG_0030_zps52710c95.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  90.9 KB
That's what I did when I changed out the rad.

Hope that sorts it.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Thanks again to everyone. Refilled system with car front on ramps and bled (thanks for pic) no leaks heater working no drop in fluid. Just very concerned as it took 1.5 litres. Only had car for 8 months . Now engine management light is on. Going to buy an ODB reader a Clarke from Machine Mart looks like a reasonable buy. Anyone got any recommendations.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been said few weeks times, quickest and easier way to bleed this car successfully is Jack front end up rad cap higher than rest of engine, leave cap off and watch bubble come out and refill slowly.

Quick Reply: No heating / engine over heating