UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

No 5th Gear?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 5th Gear?

Went out for a bank holiday drive yesterday and after doing over 150 miles of gentle yorkshire dales driving on the way home I opened the taps somewhat. Grinded a gear(not a bad one) change into 5th and then next time I went to select 5th I couldnt select it. The gear stick will select all other gears apart from 5th.

I would like advice on how bad this gearbox issue is, am skint as hell at the moment and would like to know is this a full gear box replacement, can it be fixed without swapping the gearbox, if so can anybody do the work rather than Honda or know of anybody in the Yorkshire/Humber region who can help me.

Soooo gutted

Thanks everyone
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM

It might be worth giving Rob at Garage R a call (he's a trader on here). He's in Barnsley, so that's pretty close to you.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Have a search around, I had something similar a short while ago - there are a few explanations, bent selector fork, a bit of "burr" in the box, or something much nastier.

Mine "fixed itself" with a bit of gearstick stirring whilst the engine was off.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Rob - always worth ringing John in the Workshop and asking if he can have a look late one afternoon. I know he's busy tomorrow but give him a shout.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys, its a strange one, have no idea or had any indication it was going to go. Will ring you tomorrow CJ, if John cant do anything with it I will ring Rob at Garage R, can only think its a link rod, selector, ring problem which is not allowing me to hit 5th, just dont want it to materialise into not selecting 4th or 6th? just worrying a gearbox going.....can only see ££'s in front of me that I don't have! Will go out to it now and have a shuffle with it lovegoova!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Selector fork is bent. FORCE it into gear - it'll go.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Yeah I have gone into the car and tried moving the gearbox around with engine on and off with clutch engaged and disengaged and i may have got a few mm of movement but I just dare'nt ram it into gear, just get the feeling if I do I am going to hear a dreaded crack or something. I do not want to question your knowledge but are you sure a simple big 'fonzy' smack into gear will do it Ultra_Nexus?

Ta
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM

I had the exact same thing last year, a v small gear grind that put my fifth gear out of action.

The problem persisted for a few days and even if fifth gear did engage it would spit it out of gear within a min or so.

Left the car unused for a week whilst away on hols, took her out out again and all was fine... gearbox 'fixed' itself!?

Found my self slotting home fifth with a little more force than normal for the remainder of that day but soon felt confident that it was all back to normal... never troubled me since.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, mine used to do that. Fine the next day when it cooled down.

Think it's gearbox distortion on long runs (like the old FIAT 124 5-speed!) or an oil problem.

Change to some fresh Honda MTF3.

Mine's not done it for years now.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Did the same thing once, missed a change up to second giving it the full beans.

And 5th going up to it was as stiff as hell for about half an hour, but slowly improved with use. I always presumed it was a bit of cack stuck somewhere or a burr that slowly got worn of or removed, that was about 40 k miles ago

Quick Reply: No 5th Gear?