UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Night time, top down?

Old 07-20-2002, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Night time with the top down is fantastic. I drove all the way back from the Scottish borders to Hertfordshire last August with the top down. I hadn't left Scotland until about 8pm and by the time I got back it was around 2am but the roof stayed down all the way.

Other memorable top down evening drives are when someone has been cutting grass during the afternoon. Can't beat the smell and 'feel' of Summer. Unless you suffer from hayfever of course!

As for rain, I quite regularly drive in the odd shower with the roof down. As long as you're doing over 40mph you don't get wet - until the water starts coming over the top of the driver's window. But admittedly you do get very odd looks!
Old 07-20-2002, 05:39 AM

I'm with Anthony. The top only goes up if it's raining when I start driving, or I'm parked.

I just had a weeks holiday in Cornwall and only had the top up once. I received my first ever 'convertible tan' - burnt forehead but nowhere else - and I got rained on while coming home on the A303 but it didn't seem worth stopping to put the hood up, in fact it was rather refreshing!

Personally, I NEVER want to not own a convertible again

Pete
Old 07-21-2002, 04:26 PM
tnt

I am wholeheartedly behind everyone's attitude to top-down driving. It's what owning an S2000 is all about.

Although I haven't tried driving in the rain...

I would like to add one more rule and that is driving just after it's rained: To avoid the water thrown up by the rest of the traffic on the road, particularly artics going in the other direction.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'Top down' driving at night is even better than 'top down' day driving. It is especially good if you can get somewhere really dark (ie away from street lighting) - somehow the sound of the car seems even more intense than usual
Old 07-22-2002, 04:26 AM

I often have the top down at night.

My favourite top-down night drive was in the CRX going through the New Forest in fog.

It was amazing - like a kind of thick, soft carpet above your head. You could see a liitle way forwards, but not upwards.

Did used to drive the CRX top-down in very light rain too on the Wessex Way - reasonable speed seemed to push droplets over the top of the windscreen, over the rollbar behind your head and onto the boot.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leggy Blonde
[B]As for rain, I quite regularly drive in the odd shower with the roof down.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:35 AM

since someone else started on CRX's I used to drive all the time with the top down when I had a DelSol.

funniest one was taking a risk when there was a dark cloud on the horison. when i caught up with me I was on a coutry road with no sign of a lay-by for at least a mile.

it started hailing.

by the time I pulled over, my head hurt and both footwells had a carpet of ice.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthony
[B]The only reasons my top ever goes up are,
1 - I am parking the car up for some time
2 - Its raining

Otherwise it is top down all the time,
Old 07-23-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit

I concur with the honourable member of Camberley
A man of impecable taste

Anthony
Old 07-23-2002, 11:00 AM

Friday night I had a memorable drive to Vermont. The top was down and I was enjoying the cool air as I cruised up rt 93. Then the rain started. I planned on pulling over to put the top up, but wasn't about to pull over on the shoulder (too dangerous). So I kept driving. My GF and I were amazed by how dry we stayed!
Eventually the rain passed and the stars came out and we motored on even spotting a few shooting stars along the way. Magical.

Quick Reply: Night time, top down?