UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nice Places to Drive in The S?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice Places to Drive in The S?

I want to go on a trip somewhere, and would like your input on where the nicest places to go are. It will obviously on a sunny day, and hopefully near a beach. I was really tempted to go to San Tropez but I think that might cost a bit too much so will probably have to keep it in the UK.

Wales has been the main point of interest so far with Abersoch and Portmerion being the suggested places.

Ideas?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Have you considered Shcotland.

Look it up on Google Earth. There are amazingly beautiful beaches (though the water is cold enough to shatter your bones or give u a heart attack due to the thermal shock).

Roads you can do are Applecross, Duke's pass (there's a lovely 10mph or less Queen Elizabeth forest drive right next to it), etc etc etc.

IF you get it on a sunny day.

cheers
S
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM

if you want nice uk drive with beach then i'd say head to west country
Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 AM

I have considered Shcotland! It may be a little cold though, and on a sunny day I wouldn't mind getting an ice cream or something on a beach!

West Country is sounding good!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you like following caravans....

Its murder this time of year...North Wales i would suggest has some nicer (by nicer i mean less populated) roads....Supposed to be some great beaches up there too....

Could always stop by Anglessey.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Some of the roads around Barnstaple/Ilfracombe, late afternoon in the week there aren't so many caravans, A399, A39 ...and best of all there are many places which are NSL and you'd be pushed to get to that speed because of the corners..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

if going to wales i'd do the holyhead to aberwystryth down the coastal road. an awesome drive taking in beach roads and you can do what i did and miss a turning and do a 60 mile detour through the mountains which actually made it even better.

lake district is another area i'd go bomb around, up and down the fells, down to the lakes and off to the coast.

westcountry really is pick a county, some lovely twistie roads in cornwall, could also stop off a the legless but smiling cider farm for some proper good cider.

scotland offers some awesome driving roads and some stunning country side and coastal runs.

i keep going to france but i want to go and do a couple of these with my mate. just lob a tent in the back go for a drive, pitch up have some good grub and watch the sun go down with a few beers.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
PHo

amdaman, it dont say where u from?

if you wanna go Wales as rtbiscuit said, the roads north, south and east of aberystwyth are amazing, also goto Builth Wells from ANY direction and go out ANY direction and you will definitely not be disappointed. Also try and head to brecon, sennybridge and llandovery which are outrageous roads, better for bikes because of the passing opportunities but hard to pass up.

+1 on devon too, anywhere near ilfracombe is truly class

rtbiscuit ive got a week off from Sept 6 and im keen on doing something similar, havnt decided on car or bike yet but would love to do it
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rtbiscuit,Jul 12 2010, 07:29 PM
i keep going to france but i want to go and do a couple of these with my mate. just lob a tent in the back go for a drive, pitch up have some good grub and watch the sun go down with a few beers.
Worth doing, it's a fab way to see the country and you can change your itinerary as you go if you want.

Getting a book on French campsites is worth it's weight in gold. We never hit a duff site in the 3 weeks of touring we did back in the '80's.

TBH once you've paid your ferry fare it's just as cheap to drive around France as over here and you have the bonus of a) better weather, b) better roads and c) fabulous countryside.

My only problem is that my better half won't stay in a tent
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM

I would second the Lake District idea, I was there recently in the S and it was awesome.

Quick Reply: Nice Places to Drive in The S?