UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Newbie tyre question

Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to both Bridgestone UK and Goodyear UK so I
Old 11-30-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by itsbeen,Nov 29 2006, 07:44 PM

I fully intend to (hence asking what size s03's I need on the rear) It would just be nice to hear that the different tyre thing would cause this handling.

Thing is I've searched on here and there are dozens of posts saying the exact same thing as this.

I can't see that a different brand of tyre is going to sort out this motion the car does (in a straight line)

I can fully understand the benefits of decent rubber in the bends etc but it's almost like torque steer when you let off.

I've seen posts on here saying about being able to change lanes on the motorway and stuff just by using the throttle.

If it sorts it, great but I'd be greatful to hear from anyone who's experienced this and put the correct rubber on
on my old car i had 225 section s03's on the back when i bought the car. It was somewhat 'drifty' at the rear under cornering.

I changed the rears to the proper s02's and the handling improved drastically.

If you see the rear s02's alongside another tyre you'll see how small the rain channels are in the s2000 specific s02 and why you need a wider tyre if you're not going for s02's.

with reference to the torque steer you describe, does the car pull in one direction under heavy throttle, and then pull the other way when you lift off?

this sounds like the classic tyre pressure problem. You'll probably find that one of the rear tyres is low on pressure.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 AM

If you see the rear s02's alongside another tyre you'll see how small the rain channels are in the s2000 specific s02 and why you need a wider tyre if you're not going for s02's.
The small rain channels are to maximise the amount of rubber contact rubber you have for a given size of tyre. Hence the SO2's in the dry get better as they wear as the channels all but disappear its part of the make up of the tyre.

The F1's look the best bet as the shoulder and contact area of the tyre is also large. Having used these and others on different cars Id say that you had other problems if you found S03 to be causing you issues.

The whole Potenza range are very sensitive to wear as we all know once you get to a certain wear limit they fall off very quickly but are excellent while in the zone.

Since Bridgestone suggested that 3mm is their recommendation limit on the Potenza range Its possible to knock their tyres on or past this point as 3mm still looks like a lot of tread as we are used to the 1.6mm limit.

This doesn
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickermat,Nov 30 2006, 05:11 PM
The F1's look the best bet as the shoulder and contact area of the tyre is also large. Having used these and others on different cars Id say that you had other problems if you found S03 to be causing you issues.
No, the problem i had with the rear of my car was specific to the fact i had 225 section s03's on the rear. In normal driving they were fine, but when you started pushing it, eg accelerating around a roundabout, the rear would break away quite early with the s03's. When i changed to s02's the rear gained a load of grip.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the sound of the GSD3F1, they are an awesome tyre for all round use. My only slight concern is the stiffness of the sidewall.

If Lickermats figures are right then they have the same width as so2 so there is no problem with that aspect?? (unlike previous/other 225 width tyres)

and at 331 a set that is a good price.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 AM

Hard to call that one IMO , but I
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsbeen,Nov 29 2006, 07:44 PM
I can fully understand the benefits of decent rubber in the bends etc but it's almost like torque steer when you let off.
Sounds a lot like the rear wheel steer effect. I thought it was like torque steer too, and couldn't understand why the back was getting unstable at relatively modest speeds in the dry. It wasn't.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM

with reference to the torque steer you describe, does the car pull in one direction under heavy throttle, and then pull the other way when you lift off?

this sounds like the classic tyre pressure problem. You'll probably find that one of the rear tyres is low on pressure.

It's like that yes, turns the car right as you let off.

The first thing I did though was check and set the tyre pressures to 34psi. It's still there, slight though but noticeable.

I'm a bit confused by the above now though. I want to get some new rear tyres so lets say i go for T1r's or eagle f1's

225/5016 or 245/45/16 ?

After looking at my rears today, then weren't nexxan lol but I've forgotten what they are again (think it began with an H)

Thing is even at 225 they look too wide for the rims anyway, can't imagine what 245's must look like on the std rims?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Nov 30 2006, 01:50 PM
Sounds a lot like the rear wheel steer effect. I thought it was like torque steer too, and couldn't understand why the back was getting unstable at relatively modest speeds in the dry. It wasn't.
Rear wheel steer effect?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 AM

I'm a bit confused by the above now though. I want to get some new rear tyres so lets say i go for T1r's or eagle f1's

225/5016 or 245/45/16 ?

After looking at my rears today, then weren't nexxan lol but I've forgotten what they are again (think it began with an H)

Thing is even at 225 they look too wide for the rims anyway, can't imagine what 245's must look like on the std rims?
No confusion , as mentioned the original FAQ on what was a "replacement" tyre for the rears was based on the fact that the OE SO2's have a larger section width than your average 225 tyre so most of the off the shelf replacements would be smaller than the So2

Quick Reply: Newbie tyre question