UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Newbie tyre question

Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie tyre question

First off I've read the faq's (very helpful)

Need a question answered though..

I checked my car today and it seems I have Bridgestone s03's on the front 205/50/16 and Nexxus (iirc) 225/50/16 on the back

Now, from the faq's it says

S02's only F = 205/50/16 R = 225/50/16

Other brands F = 205/50/16 R = 245/45/16

Baring in mind I have S03's on the front what rear tyres should I go for? I obviously want to go for S03's to match the front but as they are bridgestone do I need 225's or 245's

Are they newer versions of s02's or just to be classed as a different tyre?

Just bought the car and the back end feels a bit nasty when letting off after accelerating. Especially bad at the mometn in the wet.

Came on here, checked the faq's.. cool, answers.. went straight out and checked tyre pressures. The pressures were bad so I sorted them, went for a drive and it is still noticeable (not as bad though)

Is fitting different tyres going to solve this problem or is it just a 'thing' with these cars?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Back shouldnt feel dodgy at all.

Get some decent tyres on there. Definately not an area to skimp on.

MB
Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 AM

The S03 has a completely different tread pattern to the S02 - it's not simply a newer version. It isn't approved for the S2000, although that's not to say that you can't use them.

The back end feeling nasty is most likely a function of the type of tyre fitted, although whether the OEM S02s would be much better in the current cold and wet conditions is moot.

There are different schools of thought as to whether it's OK to mix tyres types on different axles. Personally, I wouldn't. I've no idea whether the Nexxus tyres are any good - although the fact that I've never heard of them suggests that they're probably not great.

In an ideal world, I'd swap all of them and put S02s or a better all-year-round tyre like the Toyo T1R on. If you can't afford that, put S03s on the back but beware that they will be more skittish than OEM tyres and, for the reasons set out in the FAQ, you'll probably want them in a 245 fitement even though they're Bridgestones.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:44 AM

Back shouldnt feel dodgy at all.

Get some decent tyres on there. Definately not an area to skimp on.

MB

I fully intend to (hence asking what size s03's I need on the rear) It would just be nice to hear that the different tyre thing would cause this handling.

Thing is I've searched on here and there are dozens of posts saying the exact same thing as this.

I can't see that a different brand of tyre is going to sort out this motion the car does (in a straight line)

I can fully understand the benefits of decent rubber in the bends etc but it's almost like torque steer when you let off.

I've seen posts on here saying about being able to change lanes on the motorway and stuff just by using the throttle.

If it sorts it, great but I'd be greatful to hear from anyone who's experienced this and put the correct rubber on
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 AM

The S03 has a completely different tread pattern to the S02 - it's not simply a newer version. It isn't approved for the S2000, although that's not to say that you can't use them.

The back end feeling nasty is most likely a function of the type of tyre fitted, although whether the OEM S02s would be much better in the current cold and wet conditions is moot.

There are different schools of thought as to whether it's OK to mix tyres types on different axles. Personally, I wouldn't. I've no idea whether the Nexxus tyres are any good - although the fact that I've never heard of them suggests that they're probably not great.

In an ideal world, I'd swap all of them and put S02s or a better all-year-round tyre like the Toyo T1R on. If you can't afford that, put S03s on the back but beware that they will be more skittish than OEM tyres and, for the reasons set out in the FAQ, you'll probably want them in a 245 fitement even though they're Bridgestones.

Thanks.

I think probably a full set of toyo's or something is in order.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by itsbeen,Nov 29 2006, 07:44 PM
I've seen posts on here saying about being able to change lanes on the motorway and stuff just by using the throttle.
From memory, those kind of problems when posted in the past have almost always been a result of aberrant tyre pressures or slow punctures.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:44 PM

I'd change the lot and put so2's on... i have been buying these tyres for years on both my S2k and my ITR, and they are brilliant. In the winter, well it doesn't always rain and on a dry day, warm them up and have a ball!
In Standing water.... be careful... but you would be on any tyre!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 AM

as above.. or put t1r's on the back now and then put T1R's on the front when they wear out.

or just get a full set of T1R's now if you can run to it.

sounds weird to have the characteristics you describe though. would be worth having a geo check anyway.

what is the wear like on the rear tyres? even?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 AM

I
Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 AM

Hmmmm food for thought. mine are nto looking too good and I'm not impressed with the S02's.

I've always rated eagle F1s as by far the best tyres Ive had on a car. . i remember the technician at the time said 'stick like sh*t to a blanket these do'

and he was right.

awesome in the wet.

Quick Reply: Newbie tyre question