UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New windscreen.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Graeme, I have only just seen this thread! Which cars did the damage? I hope it wasn't anyone that I know. A lot of people in my year drive like nutters!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It was just 2 cars between Rugeley and Stafford. (Vauxhall Astra and a Renault 21).
Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add my £0.02, I do seem to go through windscreens at an alarming rate in the S, I'm averaging a new screen every 12 months so far (Having owned the car for just over 5 years). I don't know if this is because the car is generally quite low, I don't tailgate particularly badly, most have happened from cars flicking up stones going in the opposite direction mind. Maybe I'm just unlucky!

Every time I've had a new screen there have been problems though, thankfully in the end it's always fitted and looked about ok. I do now have some scratches to my paintwork above my screen from fitters over the years though.

Anyway, diving home from work the other week, a 'rock' hit the screen, I arranged auto windscreens to come out on the Saturday, but they phoned me 10 mins before the appointment because the fitter was ill. Reorganised for Tuesday, the guy turned up but it was raining so it couldn't be fitted. They then turned up on Thursday but the rubber surround was incorrect (and from what he was saying on the phone to the office, so was the screen). So now they are coming back next Tuesday, fingers crossed.

My wife however had a total of 13 attempts to fit a new screen in her old TT through auto windscreens, and in the end the insurance company agreed for Audi to do the job and they paid the bill.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM

OK here's some pics. I'm not happy with the job but really can't decide whether it's worth kicking up a fuss about it, it's so nearly there, but the more I look at these pics the more I think it's just not good enough. What do you reckon?

Curling rubber in corners:

Still rippled along the top:

Gap between screen and scuttle:

Can I expect a better job if I take to a Honda dealer?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM

I can understand your frustration with how this is turning out, those ripples on the top should have been taped down and allowed to set properly, the curling on the corners shouldn't be there but as you say, it's so close.

Option one is accept it and move on.

Option two is kick up an almighty fuss and get it done properly, be that by someone whose knows what they are doing or by Honda themselves. Your insurance company should get their sh1t together. That's why we pay insurance, so if anything goes wrong it can be fixed. They look for tiny details to get what they want so why shouldn't you?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by caboose
I can understand your frustration with how this is turning out, those ripples on the top should have been taped down and allowed to set properly, the curling on the corners shouldn't be there but as you say, it's so close.
My replacement screen was like yours when fitted, but the fitter then taped the kinks down and a few hours later it was perfect! />
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 AM

It's taken a while but I can finally wrap this thread up, and with a happy result. Long story short, Admiral finally relented and said take it to Honda, Honda said take it to National Windscreens in Cowley, so I did and my god they are so much better! Took it into the workshop where they took me through the process step by step and let me keep a close eye on it throughout. All Honda parts, screen and trim, including new scuttle clips (as Auto Windscreens had broken half of them), new foam spacers and even the little airbag sticker! Friendly and knowledgeable staff, compared to AW it's like night and day. Taking out the old screen uncovered all sorts of horrors left by the last fitter, so really glad I did get it redone.

Best part is Admiral are refunding my excess so I've managed to get all brand new Honda parts for free

Moral of the story:
  • Do everything you can to get OEM parts, as I found out it is hard work but could save a lot of headaches (and cost to the insurance company) in the long run.
  • DO NOT USE AUTO WINDSCREENS!!
  • Check under the bonnet before the fitter leaves!
  • Keep getting it redone until you are happy with the result. As it is a repair you should expect your car to be in at least as good condition afterwards if not better!

I'm sure I was just unlucky to get such poor workmanship but hopefully this thread will provide some pointers for what to look out for when getting a new windscreen. Thanks for putting up with my rants!

Ross
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 AM
MI5

Excellent news Ross.
Told you they were good!/>
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 AM

That's great!