UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New windscreen.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah covers put on seats, and a guy that new what he was doing. i did ask him if he had done an s2000 before and he said yeah. all in all i cant fault mine, but the pictures above of the "iffy" rubber surround, i would be getting it done again for sure.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Originally Posted by RossJ84' timestamp='1352847514' post='22149014
Interestingly, the manufacturers stamp on the glass is in the bottom drivers side corner, and is proving slightly distracting. Probably just because I'm not used to it being there but weird that they thought that would be a good place to put it!
Could well be a European knock off I guess
RossJ84 - go back to post #9 of this thread where I linked you back to my thread. I had the same annoyance regarding the etching. The general consensus at the time was that it may have been a European screen. Admittedly I have got used to it now but at the time it was very annoying.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ch3tman
RossJ84 - go back to post #9 of this thread where I linked you back to my thread. I had the same annoyance regarding the etching. The general consensus at the time was that it may have been a European screen. Admittedly I have got used to it now but at the time it was very annoying.
Ah yes I thought I remembered reading about it somewhere before! I also love the tip about putting the trim in hot water first to soften it. As I'll be at home when it's refitted I'll definitely suggest he does that, although I have to wait until Tuesday now - apparently they have to wait 7 days before removing the screen again due to the glue.... At least I can keep a close eye on the job this time!

I might just phone and get them to check if they have any RHD screens with the etching on the passenger side too.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Right, I have fecking well had enough of Auto Windscreens and their incompetence. This week's update:

Tuesday: Fitter arrives with an identical surround to the one that was shoddily fitted to the car, already kinked in the same way and even he said it would never flatten out, and couldn't see any point in going ahead. For some reason when talking to his boss he came over all meek and wouldn't say what the problem was, so I had to fight my corner AGAIN and try to point out that this is why you need OEM parts, while being insulted by him saying I didn't know what I was talking about. In as many words. A call to the customer services and the centre manager and eventually they agree to get an OEM surround but with aftermarket glass. Fair enough.

Thursday: Fitter arrives who looks about 15, assures me he's done many S2Ks before, has the screen pre-fitted with the surround, not symetric on each side but close enough so I give him the go ahead. Upon completion, I find:
1) In the top corners of the screen the rubber is curling back under on itself, he prodded and prised and taped and pressed, worked for a bit but soon curled back again. Pics to follow tomorrow if it's not clear
2) Even bigger gap between screen and scuttle than the last fitter managed. I was pressing around to investigate and found one end wasn't even clipped in and was flapping about. He was clueless as to why until I pointed out that the clip had come off and so it wasn't seated. "Shall I open the bonnet so you can see better?"......
3) "Oops"... TOOLS LEFT IN THE ENGINE BAY! Big wiry contraptions in amongst all the belts, actually read about that happening to someone else and thought it could never happen to me!
4) Scuttle reseated and clipped. Gap now even bigger.

I'm utterly fuming, and really hoping the rubber is screwed so I can take it somewhere else OF MY CHOICE and let someone who knows what they're doing to fix all AW shoddiness.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out and no-one at work understands what it's like having a car like ours!

At least the last thing he got me to do was fill out a satisfaction survey.... shall I recommend them to friends?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jerez I want mine doing due to the low sun and hundreds of tiny stone chips but after reading all this I will put my dotty hammer away and put up with them!!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM

Ouch, how long did it take him to do? I no the guy took about 1 hr 30 to do my one. Was the rubber OEM in end? suppose there trying to sort it at least
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by s2srt
Ouch, how long did it take him to do? I no the guy took about 1 hr 30 to do my one. Was the rubber OEM in end? suppose there trying to sort it at least />
I think it was just over an hour, and OEM rubber - noticeable difference in quality, the OEM is much softer and more supple, the cheap one is quite hard and keeps its shape (the wrong shape!).

It was already fitted to the screen when he arrived but he showed me the packaging and it's so obvious why there is a difference: The aftermarket rubber is coiled into a circle for packaging so the edge settles into a constant radius, then trying to straighten it out for the top of the screen causes the ripples. The OEM rubber is packaged in the shape of the windscreen, so the rubber is pre-formed in the correct shape all around.

Only tomorrow's daylight will tell if they've wasted their money by using a clumsy-ass fitter. Honestly, it was painful watching him try to manipulate the screen to fix the corners... he seemed to have suddenly lost the ability to use the suction cups properly and I had visions of flying tools and dented panels ... Once I'd seen under the bonnet all I wanted him to do was get his hands off my car and leave.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

First thing the guy who did my screen was to ask for a bucket of hot water, he un packed the OEM surround and stuck in it the water and then got on with the job. no problems at all with the surround
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Holy cr*p Ross! That's not a rant, that's a horror story!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM

You pay your insurance, you abide by all their rules and cr*p, the least you want is an honest fitter that knows which way is up and the tools and equipment to do the job properly. Take some pictures if you can when it's nice to do so.

Quick Reply: New windscreen.