UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New windscreen for

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up New windscreen for

I've noticed that there are a few stonechips and blemishes/scratches on my windscreen

They are'nt too big or anything its just that its like acne on a really fit girl....

My insurance co says that they will come out and repair the chips for free or for
Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes it iw worth it.

Just go to autowindscreens or whatever and they sort it all for you
Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO no.

I'm actually on the THIRD attempt by Autocrass Taunton to fit a new screen to my S. I have given up on the hapless feckwits.
There are LOTS of similar horror stories on here about the glass goons, and not any specific company. The happy/sad ratio is about 50/50.
My boss had the local RAC guys out to replace the screen in his Freelander. They did
Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine replaced by RAC about 3 months ago and it made a really nice difference after, sadly i was switching lanes on the m25 last week and a truck kicked up a stone and put a chip in my new one...

I say go for it! RAC gets the thumbs up from me
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my Passat done a month or so ago. Awesome service from Autoglass. Excellent fitter. Very clued up.

Don't listen to all the faceless dullards moaning.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Never had any problems with autoglass. Four cars and at least one new windscreen on each, all by autoglass through my insurers.

The chip fixing service is well worthwhile as an alternative to the new screen. If done right, the windscreen is pretty much as good as new. They will only do 3 before replacing the screen though, as any more will lower the strength of the screen. The chips are best done when fresh, as if water gets in between the sheets of the windscreen, the frost can cause the screen to crack.

So, in terms of "do i trust them or not", yes, go for it. In terms of chip fix Vs windscreen, it depends on your screen.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Autoarse occasionally do a bad job, usually average.

The RAColes are so damned thick, there's no point.

National Windscreens at Hoddesdon are pretty good, so they're not on my insurers approved lists.

The Gov't are allowing the councils to put crumble on the road surface, in an attempt to cover over the hatred the population now feels. With the S2000's vertical screen, breakages are gonna be constant.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM

From my experience, RAC et al, fit non-OEM glass. It is generally thinner glass, hence not so expensive for them, plus you'll probably notice the difference in the rain - it's much louder in the cabin.
ALWAYS request that they fit OEM Honda screens & seals - they shouldn't have a problem with this.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by europa,Jul 1 2008, 01:04 AM
From my experience, RAC et al, fit non-OEM glass. It is generally thinner glass, hence not so expensive for them, plus you'll probably notice the difference in the rain - it's much louder in the cabin.
ALWAYS request that they fit OEM Honda screens & seals - they shouldn't have a problem with this.
Just phoned them...

They said that their screens will be identical to the OEM ones.

The guy on the phone also said about other companys that use glass from china and the RAC has a factory in england that manufactures all their OEM replacements.

Is it still worth insisting on this?

thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=aaroncosbey,Jul 1 2008, 10:49 AM] Just phoned them...

They said that their screens will be identical to the OEM ones.

The guy on the phone also said about other companys that use glass from china and the RAC has a factory in england that manufactures all their OEM replacements.

Is it still worth insisting on this?

thanks

Quick Reply: New windscreen for