UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

new user: Is my car going to set on fire??!

Old 09-15-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new user: Is my car going to set on fire??!

Please don't scoff.

Just fitted an alpine cdm7892r with mac audio cyclone (temporary) and MB Quart reference components using MDF speaker adaptors from Tif (thanks +++). Against Tif's advice I'm running the amplifier off the accessory wiring loom used to power the headunit. So far no problems (5-6 days). My thoughts are the accessory fuse in the main fuse box will blow if the amplifier draws too much current, in which case I know I should have taken Tif's advice in the first place. However, will I run into anymore dire consequences other than needing to replace the fuse and reroute the amplifier's power supply? (e.g. car on fire! )
What I really don't get ( ) is why amplifier wiring kits come with a huge gauge power cord with a relatively piddly fuse. Surely the gauge of the power cord need only be capable of carrying more current than the fuse (chain as strong as weakest link......). I apologise if I'm being naive but this must be marketing hype/completely unnecessary.

Appreciate any input before something horrible happens.

p.s. hope you're all enjoying SM2.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant understand why ANYBODY needs any extra amplification for the radio thing when you have got V_TEC to listen to or anticipate....if you need all those amps why not buy an
XR3 !!!!!!
Or are you ramping up the V-TEC now that would be good!!