UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New suspension advice

Old 07-12-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension advice

Hi,

Been lurking for a while, hope somebody can help...

I've got an early X-reg with about 85k miles on it. Naturally, the suspension bushes are seized (although luckily in a decent alignment!), but I'd like to get this sorted along with a suspension refresh, given the OEM ones are 16+ yrs old now.

What springs/shocks would people recommend? I don't want to lower the car excessively and would like the ride stiffness to stay more or less the same. I'm not that fussed with adjustable suspension. In fact, I'd go OEM again if they weren't so expensive! The car sees a few track days a year (Oulton Park tomorrow!) as well as general 'fun' on the B-roads...

Help is hugely appreciated!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do you are going to need to sort the seized bushes!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:31 AM

Ta, yeah, they'll be getting sorted at the same time. Luckily at the moment they've seized in a good alignment! Tyre wear is even and handling is great!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/763...0%a6-should-i/
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 AM

That thread is VERY biased towards coilovers.
My experience of Nitron coilovers on my supercharged S and the Eibach springs on my IOM one is springs are fine for road use.
So long as you get a good geo
Old 07-12-2016, 05:16 AM

Thanks Mikey, and noodels

So a vote for eibach springs on normal shocks then?

Any idea of the closest to OEM spec without costing too much?

I don't mind a very small reduction in ride height, but I've had a car before that was way too low and it ruined it tbh.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The problem with fitting lowering springs to already tired OEM dampers is that they will drastically reduce their life, due to the fact that the OEM dampers were designed to run with OEM length / poundage springs, so fitting shorter springs is going to overwork the dampers.

If you want to go down the lowering spring route, make sure that the springs and dampers are a matched set.

The reason why coilovers are much preferred is the spring rates etc are matched to the valving of the damper (hopefully ) and the ride height can be set to a desired level. However, not all dampers are built equally and you tend to get what you pay for. Given that the suspension is a fundamental part of what makes or breaks a car, I would see if you have some fellow owners in your area who can give you a ride out in their cars so you can experience the differences and make a better choice of what would suit you.

Noodles has DFVs (widely reported to be the best option for the S2000) and I am going to get a ride out in his car (hopefully tomorrow) to see if they are what I am looking for . Don't forget, what is one man's cup of tea is another man's poison and all that .
Old 07-12-2016, 06:09 AM

Whilst that is true in theory the reality of a typical owners use is a decent set of springs are more than sufficient.
The eibach spring rates aren't a massive increase and they only lower it ~25mm.
Having spent a lot of time and money on coilovers on a road use S2000, my experience around Scotland, Wales and Europe in both of my lowered S2000's says the Eibach springs are more than suitalbe for most road users needs.
If you are going to track it or want to go super low that's a different game - both more complicated and expensive.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k
Whilst that is true in theory the reality of a typical owners use is a decent set of springs are more than sufficient.
The eibach spring rates aren't a massive increase and they only lower it ~25mm.
Having spent a lot of time and money on coilovers on a road use S2000, my experience around Scotland, Wales and Europe in both of my lowered S2000's says the Eibach springs are more than suitalbe for most road users needs.
If you are going to track it or want to go super low that's a different game - both more complicated and expensive.
I'd 100% agree on a low mileage car, but on one with 85k, it is likely that they won't last very long after fitting the lowering springs.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Banned

Jumping on board, recently we have been selling quite a few sets of the Spoon Fixed dampers are they are uprated over OEM and designed to work perfectly whit a -25mm drop (Spoon or other Springs). Also very affordable compared to Genuine Honda replacement dampers and made in the same factory as the Honda dampers.

https://www.burnmotorsport.com/produ...0-ap1-000.html

Quick Reply: New suspension advice