UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New speeding fines / article

Old 05-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
The thing about this road layout is that if you are going left, the moment you turn left from the roundabout the road becomes two lane.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AquilaEagle
Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looks to me like these changes are not to benefit "poor done by motorists" so much as to turn the screw on us all a bit more. I think the title from the article below (and the content) sums it up quite well. The real problem here IMO is what will constitute a "minor infraction" (you can bet there will be a wide gulf of difference between what the motorist thinks is minor and what the police do!)

Cameras to focus on high-speed offenders
By Daniel Thomas [Daily Telegraph]
(Filed: 17/05/2004)

Speed camera fines and penalties may be overhauled in favour of a potentially more punitive system, the Department for Transport said yesterday.

Drivers caught speeding under the current legislation have their licences endorsed by three points regardless of the margin of their breach.

Cameras have generated
Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd think in this day and age that technology would be used in GATSOs whereby it takes into account the number of cars registered before and after a flash (i.e. measuring traffic density - if there is bugger all else on the road, who are you endangering but yourself?) as well as the weather - i.e. if its blazing hot then going 50 in a 40 isn't exactly dangerous.....

Alas its much easier just to make a sweeping generalisation and say that anyone going 5mph over the limit in any weather/visibility, and any traffic density - is as bad as burglary.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:02 AM

I don't like speed cameras, but...

<flamebait>
I wish people would stop talking in absolute terms. There are times when 50mph in a 40 limit is safe and there are other times when 20mph in the same limit is unsafe. It's partly to do with traffic density, partly to do with time of day (especially around schools) but mostly to do with the surrounding environment.

I did 80mph on the open 'A' road to work today and was quite happy to do so (with my Origin watching the police for me ) but anyone doing 30mph in my street, which is a 30 limit, filled with cars, kids and animals, should be shot, hung, shot again (to make sure) and then fed to the local chavs outside the Spar shop.

Summary point (for those who got bored of my rant): Speeding in general is neither good nor bad, but inappropriate speed (which can bear very little in common with posted limits) is bad indeed.
</flamebait>
Old 05-17-2004, 07:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daern
I don't like speed cameras, but...

<flamebait>
I wish people would stop talking in absolute terms.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with all this IMO, and as you seem to be saying, is that a lot of speed limits are completely arbitrary and the penalties for exceeding them fixed and intransigent.

On a clear motorway in good weather, good visibilty, dry and "grippy" road surface, and light traffic 100mph would not be a dangerous speed to travel at. This would be respecting the laws of physics, after all (which doing 100mph on a rainswept and slippery surface might not be)!

Another example may be doing 30 mph in a heavily built up area when a lot of pedestrians are milling about (a high street near you that hasn't got speed humps yet maybe) - might be obeying the law but 15 mph may be a more appropriate speed in these circumstances.

Again, IMO, the best judge of all this should be the driver. The only time that the authorities should interfere is when the driver is potentially dangerous by either disrespecting the physical limits of a situation, or disrespecting others.

How could all this be policed? By traffic cops (like they did in the "old days") who would undoubtable gain much public respect and support through such an approach. Getting two points for doing 58 mph in a 50 limit with the trade off of 6 points for 90mph, or an automatic ban for 100, on the motorway is going to pi** this particular punter off a whole lot more! (I can't wait to cast my next vote - won't make any difference probably but I will feel better on the day )