UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New speeding fines / article

Old 05-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New speeding fines / article

Flexible speed penalties proposed

Motoring offence penalties are being reviewed
A new flexible system of speeding penalties has been proposed.
The Department of Transport says a consultation exercise on the scheme will begin after the local and European elections in June.

Motorists driving way over the speed limit face up to six points on their licence, but those caught just over the limit could get as few as two points.

At present, motorists receive three points on their licence, regardless of how fast they are going.

Currently, an automatic ban is given to anyone who clocks up 12 points, or four offences, within three years.

However, ministers are worried people who need their licences for work are having them removed. In 2002, 30,000 people were suspended from driving.

There has been controversy, too, over the increased use of speed cameras.

Transport Secretary Alistair Darling countered the criticism and said cameras contributed to safety on the road.

He said: "Independent research shows that they reduce death and serious injury by 35% at sites where they have been placed.

"We must reduce speeding but the public must have confidence that the punishment fits the crime.

"We will be publishing the results of a review of cameras next month and consulting on a new penalties structure.

"The best camera is one that doesn't issue a single ticket as it means people are driving safely and within the speed limit."

Maybe there is hope yet?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't trust a man named Darling
Old 05-16-2004, 02:06 AM

They should drop the point and just give a small fine. That would keep most drivers happy.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by hazdjc
They should drop the point and just give a small fine. That would keep most drivers happy.
Can't do that - imagine the flack government would get by giving the rich licenses to speed.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:58 AM

I know what your saying Chris. But why should you get any points for doing 47 in a 40. If you were doing 60 in a 40 then you should be given points.
If you were over the 100 on the MW then 6 points but 85 on a MW no point just a fine.

Dave
Old 05-16-2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by hazdjc
I know what your saying Chris. But why should you get any points for doing 47 in a 40. If you were doing 60 in a 40 then you should be given points.
If you were over the 100 on the MW then 6 points but 85 on a MW no point just a fine.

Dave
I'd love for this to be the case - therein lies the dilemma for those in authority I expect.

At the end of the day, personally, I'd like to see more attention directed to other anti-social driving behaviour - unsafe cars / tyres, unlicenced, uninsured, untaxed drivers, tailgating, etc. Speeding is the easiest & cheapest infraction to prosecute.

Now that government is falling into disfavour over this policy, they are trying to implement something that is more confusing, yet seemingly more reasonable ?
Old 05-16-2004, 03:16 AM

The best camera is one that doesn't issue a single ticket as it means people are driving safely and within the speed limit
I would totally agree. So from that, I assume the ones that catch lots of people are the worst cameras and are clearly not being effective? Thus they should remove these and use that old fashioned idea of 'policemen' to police these 'dangerous' stretch of road (cameras are, after all, being used where there are accidents)
Old 05-16-2004, 03:17 AM

I agree totally Chris
Old 05-16-2004, 10:47 AM

It still doesn't really differentiate between dangerous and fast.
I saw all sorts today. People crossing the wrong carriageway against oncoming traffic at junctions. People talking or texting on mobiles whilst driving. People swerving across both lanes of a roundabout despite traffic in front and behind them. People going over the cross hatching coming off dual carriageways.
All these people are safe from prosection because there were no police out. There were at least 10 scameras I went by.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, we need a Highway Patrol, who police driving standards not just speeding.

I had some idiot in an AMG Merc try a stupid overtake today. I was driving g/f's Astra so in cruise mode.

We come to an admittedly stupid road layout (Adversane>Ashington>Worthing) for the other southern softies out there) where you approach a roundabout on a single lane. At the roundabout in Ashington you can go left or straight on, or back on yourself.

I wanted to go left, and indicated so, as was said Merc behind me.

The thing about this road layout is that if you are going left, the moment you turn left from the roundabout the road becomes two lane. Now the l/h lane will take you northbound in about 100 yds whereas you need to be in the r/h lane to go to Worthing, which will then take you to a roundabout and sliproad to join the southbound A24. It's easy to be trapped in the n/s lane so you have to get smartly into the outer, which, given that you are going from 1>2 lanes, isn't a problem.

So I indicate left and move immediately into the right hand lane as I turn left. This upsets Mr Merc who wants to be in front and I get the flashing lights and horn treatment. He was obviously expecting me to go into the left hand lane but irked by the fact I knew the road as well as him.

He then tried to overtake on the roundabout leading to the sliproad. What a tosser. Funnily enough I had just finished relating my opinion that the S seems to wind up some drivers (as it did yesterday) but the Astra is anonymous.

Needless to say I behave myself in the company of g/f but that driver goes on my watch list.

Ten years ago I'd have put him in the armco, shortly followed by casualty.

I must be getting old. I even bought some plants today.

Quick Reply: New speeding fines / article