UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2000, old NSX

Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's 'only an Astra' if you buy into the branding bollocks that so many BMW and Porsche owners see as all important for their image.

Subaru were Farmer Giles' runabout until they stuck a stonking turbo in their saloon and went rallying, suddenly they were ultra-cool overnight to those who appreciated cars.

Same with the Mitsubishi Galant, my Grandfather had one - very sensible. Until they went and Evo'd it.

It was 'only' a Sierra that Cosworth breathed on to the upset of many M3 and 911 owners of the time.

The Vauxhall Carlton was the car for the executive who just didn't quite make it to BMW or Mercedes level. Until Lotus got hold of it.

Most of us drive a Honda - that lumps us in with the blue rinse brigade in the eyes of the Boxster owners ("My dad has a Honda, a Honda lawnmower - guffaw!"), it doesn't bother me, I enjoy seeing them in my mirror on a trackday trying to look like they aren't trying to keep up

So the Astra is a shopping car that looks like dozens of others in the supermarket car park - but to those in the know, it's been given a stonking powerplant and had it's suspension fettled by Lotus giving it great point-to-point ability without screaming "Look at me!" - some people appreciate that, and at the price, many of them will be able to afford it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 AM

Spot on, Mark

The new VXR Astra has received rave reviews in all the ones I've seen of it so far. Don't be so quick to dismiss just because "it's an Astra" or "it's a Vauxhall".

Admittedly, I now much prefer the RWD driving experience to FWD, but I'm sure I could live with the VXR if I was in the market to trade down to something a touch more sensible, with four seats and a roof. At
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Lurking Lawyer,Jul 21 2005, 09:34 AM] Spot on, Mark

The new VXR Astra has received rave reviews in all the ones I've seen of it so far. Don't be so quick to dismiss just because "it's an Astra" or "it's a Vauxhall".

Admittedly, I now much prefer the RWD driving experience to FWD, but I'm sure I could live with the VXR if I was in the market to trade down to something a touch more sensible, with four seats and a roof. At
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by UK Paul,Jul 21 2005, 06:23 AM
Exactly what the mag. is inferring....

A very well driven Caterham or high power EVOBUSHI ( helmed by a suicidal nutter) could not gain on this VXR in their opinion...indeed it would struggle to keep up.......

And this was on the twisties.........

I was amazed....and at a stroke impressed with what LOTUS has done to the handling, while still maintaining ride comfort...

by the Golf forum has moved my mail on this as it upset too many owners
Actually just found they've moved it to the Mk 5 forum...makes sense.

And a lot less owners there have given it the its a Vauxhall line & agree Golf needs to get there act together sharpish....

But a lot more are eager to hear about the 200BHp diesel Astra.....
Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UK Paul,Jul 21 2005, 10:22 AM
And a lot less owners there have given it the its a Vauxhall line
I'm not surprised .......its a Golf forum FFS.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Jul 21 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm not surprised .......its a Golf forum FFS.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by moff,Jul 21 2005, 08:45 AM
Finally, WTF is the FRV all about???? I think this is a clear indication to where Honda are heading, and its not good. I think Honda are going to play to their largest market - the US.
Something for BMW to benchmark, whilst developing their own 'me too' version!

Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The fact that a fast car might also be made by Vauxhall isn't that big a deal, but the fact that it might be very common is. For me.

I don't like driving cars that lots of other people own because it spoils any sense of occasion.

That's one of the biggest reasons why I drive a twelve year old Daimler and eleven year old Ferrari, rather than much newer models.

Despite what some people say here, I don't see loads of M3s about - so I would consider driving one. I doubt the same will be true of a fast Astra (like CTRs), based on price alone.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I tend to agree with the exclusivity bit.

If I am susceptible to branding (we all are, to a point), it's more do do with integrity of engineering and product consistency AFAIAC.

The first Astra was a very good car in its day, the new one is allegedly so. The others have been reliable, unreliable, conformist/ugly &c. They haven't really made any progress.

In other words it is hard to feel the same excitement about a GM crop than it is to feel excitement about a BMW, Honda, etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:07 AM

Honda are still the blue rinse poor brigade - I tried to book my car into a bodyshop recommended by a friend with an S3, only to be told "oh no we don't look at HONDA's, we only take prestige cars such as audi, bmw etc."

When my friend spoke to a service tech there, he gasped and said - but of course we would have an S2000.

Still - Honda was sneered at.

If Honda drop the faster, cooler cars of the fleet (S2k, NSX etc.) and don't replace them, but Vauxhall add some good fast cars like this Astra, there's no reason the Vauxhall marque won't step up the ranks over time. The CTR, S2k etc., have helped Honda, the Astra will help Vauxhall.

Quick Reply: New S2000, old NSX