UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New roof booked for April next year @ Jack Smith Swansea

Old 08-20-2024, 07:51 AM

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts
Default New roof booked for April next year @ Jack Smith Swansea

He's still around (well it's Raymond now). £ 450. 01792 461022. He could have done it in November so the wait list is now shorter (I guess a lot of people took the oppo in the pandemic).
The following 4 users liked this post by tjockhult:
noodels (08-20-2024), Nottm_S2 (08-20-2024), trails (08-23-2024), you reds (08-21-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 10:56 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Did mine today.. good bloke and did a good job

Will post some pics on my SC car thread for ya later

Very cheap Vs market rate and with me going from flex to rigid screen even more so

Thumbs up for Raymond from me

The following 2 users liked this post by Nottm_S2:
noodels (09-19-2024), tjockhult (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 11:44 AM

My roof looks nothing like Jason's - it's in decent shape. However I get a tiny amount of water ingress into the boot when it's raining heavily (all liners out for years). I spoke to Raymond about this and he said there is a rain channel or gutter running under the back edge of the hood - this gets filled with debris and dirt after some years. Heavy rain makes water sit in that valley for long enough to seep through the fabric hence the leak. I know this is the source of my leak as there is zero leak with the hardtop on.
£ 450 for saving the car from water ingress has to be the bargain of the century. I am 135 miles away.
The following users liked this post:
Nottm_S2 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 12:15 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

The gutter across the boot drains into two funnel type assemblies one at either wheel arch - these are open topped and so if not draining correctly will fill the boot and arches with water

But overall he said the fabric gets damaged by UV over time so is a wear item

Here is what my interior looked like when I got home so be aware of that but he is a lot cheaper than his competition and while I can't rate against as never used the outcome is very good imo. His product is excellent.

He is too cheap

The following users liked this post:
tjockhult (09-23-2024)
Old Today, 12:32 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I had the same water ingress in the boot from somewhere around the driver's wheel arch - I tried antenna seal, plastic trim, drain cups, etc. but the only thing that fixed it was a new roof (from Monsoon, mail order and DIY fitted) They didn't have Twillweave in stock, so ended up with a Mohair one at approx twice the price of Jack Smith. I finally stopped the leak and it's a really good fitment and quality, plus I got to easily replace the fuel filter and filter sock while I was doing the job. It's laborious to do it the way I did (remove seats, centre box and roll hoops to get access to the parcel shelf side trims) but had it finished over a weekend working at a leisurely pace.
Old Today, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I had the same water ingress in the boot from somewhere around the driver's wheel arch - I tried antenna seal, plastic trim, drain cups, etc. but the only thing that fixed it was a new roof (from Monsoon, mail order and DIY fitted) They didn't have Twillweave in stock, so ended up with a Mohair one at approx twice the price of Jack Smith. I finally stopped the leak and it's a really good fitment and quality, plus I got to easily replace the fuel filter and filter sock while I was doing the job. It's laborious to do it the way I did (remove seats, centre box and roll hoops to get access to the parcel shelf side trims) but had it finished over a weekend working at a leisurely pace.
Thanks, that confirms my suspicion about water ingress. I have the hardtop on now, bone dry in the boot even after Monday's rain. I'm too old at 65, too lazy and too rich to attempt replacing the hood myself. I did install a glass rear screen on my MX5 some 27 years ago - that was an absolute nightmare for me. Never again.