UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Owner Says Hello

Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Says Hello

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a good while now and decided to overcome my shyness and introduce myself.

I gave up motorbikes at Easter and always have been a Honda fan. So the choice had to be an S2000 I guess. I live in N Ireland and looked for one here, but could not find anything I liked. They are a rare car anywhere, particularily over here. I wanted an unmodified car, and decided to look across the pond for one.

After couple of fruitless trips I saw on this site a 2004 car being sold by a member in Leeds, so I jumped on a plane and headed over and to cut a long story short am now the proud owner of a 2004 Nurburgring Blue car with only 8000 odd miles on the clock. Cue colour comments!!

I must say the information I got from this forum when deciding to buy was second to none and for that I am extremely grateful, maybe I can contribute something now, as I progress down the ownership curve.

When I get my thoughts together I will post on my first impressions, but in the meantime I have a question on the alarm system (boring I know) that someone maybe can help me with.

I can't get the alarm to trigger on opening the boot, using any of the three (legal) means - ie key, remote fob, or interior release. I wonder is there a fault here, it triggers ok on the doors and the bonnet. I have an aftercare warranty but my dealer is frightening me with stories of virtually dismantling the car to check it out!

Also there does not appear to be a interior motion sensor in the car. Wondering if this is normal...........?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having (serious) trouble with the 04 alarm but not your symptom.

I asked the question today about an interior sensor for movement as the manual made some comment about holding the interior door handle and closing the door intenrior latch to set the alarm with the roof down. The Tech Manager said he thought there was no such sensor on the S!? If he is correct then so is your observation. I must say I never look or noticed one when I stripped down the windscreen interior surround.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 AM

and welcome to the forum Stumpy.

I won't bother with the normal Nurburgring colour comments (I'll leave that to my piers instead ). Regarding your alarm question there should be a pair of interior sensors mounted on the A pllars. If you don't have these then if you park up and alarm the car with the roof down, someone should be able to put their hand in and grab your jacket, keys etc etc. Give it a test, as the interir sensors may not be as obvious.

I've not tested it, but I'm sure the alarm should go off if you open the boot with the key if the alarms still active.

Might be worth asking the previous owner about these two points as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM

Just tested the boot thingie, and with my car alarmed I can unlock the boot with the key and the alarm did not go off.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 AM

j8mie - thanks for trying that, I think that it's quite normal for the alarm not to trigger from the key. Was wondering about the interior release though, but I suppose this cannot be tested due to your movement sensors.

My car has definitely not got interior sensors.

Lusaka - my sympathies - the poor people of Letchworth (and you) must be demented by the noise, I regret I cannot give you any advice apart from getting yourself a good pair of ear defenders!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy,Oct 2 2007, 05:00 PM
My car has definitely not got interior sensors.
I don't think the 04+ has the same internal sensors that Jamie is referring to. My 02 had them mounted on the A pillars but they were missing in my 04.

Can't remember where the sensors were located on the 04 though, so I'm not really much help
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 AM

The reasons I think there is no sensors are

a) I can't find 'em

b) sitting in car with alarm armed and flapping arms like an 'ejit nothing happens. Wife thinks I'm crazy, she could be right.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 AM

No idea where the senors are either but with the roof down and the car locked so the lights flash 3 times, you should find that if you reach in to the car - to pick something off the seat for example, the alarm will go off.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Afraid not, first thing I tried. Anyone know how exactly the alarm triggers on the boot. I suspect it has something to do with the solenoid switch controlling the locl.

Dunno how the bonnet senses opening as I can find no obvious switch.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome...