UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New member/owner, Hi!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member/owner, Hi!

Hi,
Im a new member here, just bought my first S2k three weeks ago and absolutely love it. Its an early model (V plate) in Silver and its done 67k.
Theres a few points that need attention and thought this would be the best place to start. I've had a look through the forum and cant seem to find much info on these so hope you can help.
Firstly, the rear fog light brackets have both rusted through and its floating around in the rear bumper, how easy are these to replace or is there an alternative way to fit this light?
Secondly, doesnt look like the previous owner cleaned the car much as the exhausts are black and the wheels are caked in brake dust. Ive managed to clean up the tail pipes nicely, are the silencers supposed to be chrome too because they are black at the moment. I've tried cleaning the wheels and I cant get the brake dust to shift, its really bad, any suggestions on the best thing to use for this?
Finally, the roof is a bit tired and its got two small rips one each side, at the hinge for folding, where the roof meets the car. The material has become very dry and hard around this area, im not too worried as it looks like the drainage for water is designed to let rain flow in here anyway but is there any way to repair this or am I gonna have to fork out for a new roof?

Fitted my sony head unit last week, used one of the adapters from autoleads to keep the dash controls and it went in flawlessly, very happy!! If anyone wants any tips/advice from that fitting please let me know!

Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome.....
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are enjoying it
Exhaust tips are chromed, a few people have "smoke chromed" them
Soak a rag in white spirit and drap it over the tip, that will soften all the road tar that has built up, then set to with metal polish!
Alloys and roof are notorious on older cars.
Not a lot you can do to improve them.
Alloys - refinish or replace them.
Roof - replace it and get a glass rear screen at the same time!
Goos luck and enjoy!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 AM

Where abouts are you? There are a number of wheel refurb places about that will powder coat them whatever colour you fancy. Cost abot £70 - £80 per wheel, well worth it.

I went 17" OEMs on mine with diamond cut face and anthracite.

Gratuitous pic

Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

& welcome

You need to post up some pics - we love pictures.

Have a read of the FAQs - plenty of good helpful info in there.

Come along to some of the regular meets & say hello.

Have lots of fun & enjoy the experience.

Bharat
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 AM

There's loads of info on roof wear prevention.
The top ideas are to cover the sharp bit of roof frame with something, and where to patch/reinforce the roof.
I'm in the same posotion as you with a worn roof.. my plan is to patch and mend and if it gets too bad replace the roof. There's places around that do it for 400-700 depending on what you want.

Wheels, I've been told you can pick up a set of 16" OEM for around £100 as nobody wants them anymore. I haven't looked yet but I probably will soon. It will depend on how corroded yours are or the replacements are.

Can you link the adapter you used please.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Welcome.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by noizyboyz,Oct 5 2009, 12:36 AM
I went 17" OEMs on mine with diamond cut face and anthracite.
Damn, they look nice. I wanna keep this beast looking 'OEM' so may plump for the same when I got some cash. The ones on atm arent too bad but its a shame cost im sure they'd look much better if the previous owner had cared for them a bit more, never mind!

Roof is something i'll live with for the moment, its not leaking so i'll make do and splash for a new one with glass rear screen when I have some more cash available.

Exhaust has come up quite nice now, i've given the tips a damn good clean and they are nice and shiney now!!

Audio adapter is the PC99-X61 Here, you'll need to buy the extra PC99-??? adapter to match your head unit (e.g. PC99-SON for sony) but thats only a little extra and the total including delivery came to £31. Not bad as it was a simple plug and play and all the dash controls work including the mute (although it only quietens the sound as the Sony head unit doesnt actually have a 'mute' function, had to connect the mute lead on the adapter to the ATT lead on the head unit)

Im in Exeter in sunny Devon, any of you near this way??

Heres a small pic of the car, the only one i've got atm but very happy overall with the car

Just two things now, the rear fog light, is there anywhere to buy the brackets to hold it in or will I have to buy a whole assembly, anyone got any experience of replacing it??

Also the rear screen was apparently replaced last year (not convinced cos it doesnt look new) and whoever did it had not only lost a couple of the plastic clips holding the trim in place on the rear shelf but.... DROPPED A SCREW DRIVER DOWN THE SIDE OF THE ROOF FOLDING MECH!! DOH!!! what a numptey, so it rattles every time I brake hard or corner hard, not a problem but took a look to see if I could find out what it was and I was shocked, its soo far down I cant reach it with anything but if anyone has any tips please let me know!!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mdickens98 glad your happy with it i have one exactly the same as yours got it last october with 31k on it. i bloody love it cant get enough of it hope you get as much fun out of it as i do. shame the weather changed now but itll make it all the better next summer. regarding your wheels i use wonder wheels you can get it from halfords about £8 that will shift the dirt hope that helps
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Managed to get the screw driver out, bought a telescopic magnetic picker upper (not sure if its got a real name) for £3 from maplin, did the job nicely and now no more rattle.
Just gotta sort the rear fog now. Cant seem to find anywhere online that sells the lights or brackets, any idea's??

Quick Reply: New member/owner, Hi!