UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Engine only running on 3!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pistonbroke,Sep 25 2008, 03:09 PM
I think the problem is electrical, rather than mechanical.
Whilst I would love to agree, if the mechanic says that there is no compression on 4, I can't see that being an electrical fault
Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Sep 25 2008, 04:33 PM
Whilst I would love to agree, if the mechanic says that there is no compression on 4, I can't see that being an electrical fault
The mechanic has done a 'thumb' compression test.

Bearing in mind that the same mechanic thought that the problem might be a bad hydraulic lifter i'd like to see compression test results before i hung my hat on that conclusion.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Sep 25 2008, 04:12 PM

Bearing in mind that the same mechanic thought that the problem might be a bad hydraulic lifter i'd like to see compression test results before i hung my hat on that conclusion.
Yeah, I did think that after posting actually

Still, do my test about taking the valve cover off and manually turning the engine. Take you 20 mins a then you will know.

If you think it's an injector fault, get a multimeter on the injectors.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Bearing in mind that the same mechanic thought that the problem might be a bad hydraulic lifter eek3.gif i'd like to see compression test results before i hung my hat on that conclusion.
Come on fellas, be fair, he is a very highly skilled mechanic. He works on supercars all day every day so is not so familiar with the F20c but I have EVERY faith in his ability.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Just heard from mechanic. Been running perfectly all day. Gave it some "serious stick" and it performed "beautifully". Engine has been flushed, oil filter and oil changed. Hes gonna keep it tommorrow for further investigations.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Could it be bad wiring? Or bad Earthing
Did your mechanic change over the fuelling system and the coilpacks from your old engine or did you get the complete engine and just bolted it in?

As stupid as it sounds i have come across a few VTEC lumps that actually perform better at higher mileagues. Some of my friends are adamant that you need to 'open the engines up' to get the very best out of them and a few of them regularly take out their b18's and h22a's etc and give them beans and so far touch wood nothing to worry about. So run it in, give it some now and then. Not a very technical answer but hey you never know.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Bollocks; too late.

Flushing a VTEC engine's a bad idea because of the crud dislodged getting trapped in the VTEC bits.

Really needs proper investigation of 'bent valvestem syndrome', which is what I suspect is causing a lot of these Jimi the Exploder engines.

Having said that, a loose connector or the EMU learning seems a more likely explanation of the tantrum.

I'd not rely on the dyke compression test, personally. But if a proper one revealed no squirt, it's really bendy valve test time.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Hes looking in to the wiring loom as it came with the new engine. He has spoken to Honda who told him they have had issues with looms causing problems like this

Could it be bad wiring? Or bad Earthing
Did your mechanic change over the fuelling system and the coilpacks from your old engine or did you get the complete engine and just bolted it in?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Dont stress over the valve thing yet, the way your describing it being intermittent could just be a bad wire get your guy to go over it. Good luck
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the VTEC is / was engaged at idle....?
Most electronics / misfires will be logged in the ECU, get it read out.

Quick Reply: New Engine only running on 3!