UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New engine needed

Old 05-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were in your position, I'd buy this. It's an S2K with built spoon engine (incl all supporting documentation) and a long list of very desirable mods. £6k he's wanting for it.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/894...on-s2000-6000/
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought ..... it would be far cheaper to pull the crank out, have it ground and polished and get the appropriate oversized shells ..... at a guess I would have thought that could all be done for less than £500 pulling the crank out with the engine in the car.

If it's an 01 it could have had the oil jets replaced which is an explanation why the sump was removed
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 AM

My engine has just picked up a sheel on the crank (to block) rather than a rod, where is the best place to buy the oversized shells from? Also, what else will need to be checked or replaced. Car only done 55,000 miles

Alex
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dixon at DMS has a few engines mate.... One from my old car.

Ad
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by ninja_alex
My engine has just picked up a sheel on the crank (to block) rather than a rod, where is the best place to buy the oversized shells from? Also, what else will need to be checked or replaced. Car only done 55,000 miles

Alex
This guy has std size in stock so I would expect he can get oversized ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACL-Race-c...#ht_1404wt_929
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bobonacus
Just a thought ..... it would be far cheaper to pull the crank out, have it ground and polished and get the appropriate oversized shells ..... at a guess I would have thought that could all be done for less than £500 pulling the crank out with the engine in the car.

If it's an 01 it could have had the oil jets replaced which is an explanation why the sump was removed
Apparently you cant regrind the crank as you can't get bigger bearings to fit?
Also my dilemma is whether to go for a second hand engine or go for a recon unit(head,block and sump). The recon unit is actually cheaper for a new engine! How does that work. Any advice on what is the best option or views on recon units. I note on the forum that some folks have concerns with timing of recon units and the bores cant be honed due to special metal?????
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM

I thought you could hone it but not bore then out? I.e. you can't oversize so as long as its std pistons and it was only honed for a seal I thought it was ok.

But I know its a tricky subject due to the fibre reinforced liners.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM

I found there are many places offering reconditioned blocks etc (all through 24-7parts.com), I'd personally stay well clear of engines that have been played with. From my understanding the F20C is such a highly strung engine that as soon as you begin messing with the internals like many back-street engine rebuilders do you'll begin to encounter problems.

Best way to go is for a used engine taken from a damaged write-off car. Ideally you want to see the engine prior to purchase (and hear if poss)

Also purchase on a credit card, you'll be protected should you buy something dodgy. And from experience, AVOID Dewsbury auto salvage I'm still waiting for a refund from them for a damaged engine they sent.

Look on ebay for the seller Integrastella or S2kvgs - they come well recommended from searching on here.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. Can I swap a 2004/05 engine into my 01 car ? I assume it will slot in with no issues (I hope)
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby G
Apparently you cant regrind the crank as you can't get bigger bearings to fit?
Also my dilemma is whether to go for a second hand engine or go for a recon unit(head,block and sump). The recon unit is actually cheaper for a new engine! How does that work. Any advice on what is the best option or views on recon units. I note on the forum that some folks have concerns with timing of recon units and the bores cant be honed due to special metal?????
That's a surprise that you can't get oversized bearings, I've not looked for the s2000 as mine is fine ... though there are different sized bearings from Honda (they are very expensive) but they don't actually state what size they are, just that they are bigger or smaller and you need to try the next size up if the clearance is too much ... a very expensive thing to do!!

A recon engine (as long as it's done properly) will have been stripped and everything checked for original tolerances ... I would expect new big ends / mains / thrust washer as required, new oil seals all round, bores checked, honed, new rings as required, valve guides checked and replaced if required, stem seals replaced, valve caps checked and replaced as required, cams, oil pump, timing chain ect etc etc checked

The bores can be honed as per the service manual :

You can also overbore by .25mm using the original liners or you can fit new liners and overbore more

I assume you mean it's cheaper for a recon unit than what people are charging for second hand ... All you are paying for is the work on the engine, you'd give your old engine in exchange and they would recon that to then resell

With regards to rebuilding, the F20C is no different from any other engine, as long as everything is within the service limits specified in the manual then there should be no problem.

Personally I have found "Back Street" companies to be very competent, like with any other service there are good and bad companies.

Any engine you buy needs to have a warranty, a credit card is not going to cover you for an engine that fails that is "Sold as Seen" .... also check the wording of any warranty as (the same with with car sales warranties) they are often not worth the paper they are written on and again, a credit card isn't going to help.

www.1stchoice.co.uk are a parts sourcing service, probably same sort of thing as 24/7 and most would offer a 3 month warranty ... after that you'd have no comeback at all, which would most likely be the same warranty on a recon engine too

Quick Reply: New engine needed