UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Never Again!

Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv'e got a set of OEM 16" wheels with all weather tyres for anyone requiring this - PM me.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Possibly one of the most amusing posts I have read in my months of lurking. Many thanks. I shall sleep that little bit sounder safe in the knowledge that there are such drivers on our roads. Sounds like an fun drive though.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish we saw snow like that down our neck of the woods.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:47 PM

I quite enjoyed it!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That'll teach you for driving up to sheep shagging fit liker land

And before you start I lived there for 5 years too.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:55 AM

Sounds like an fun drive though.
Normally I would agree - I love driving and I love pressing on and provoking the car to move around a bit but last night was too much for me. It was far too dangerous to be fun unless you can afford to pay out after a low speed cosmetic bump, which I can't.

I don't doubt the car would perform much better on proper winter tyres but given how little snow we get is hard to justify the costs for someone that lives in an urban area. It would be easier to make alternative arrangements. I understand for the likes of you cable is makes more sense being out in the sticks.

I'm not daft though - I remembered to pack my 1/8th scale nitro r/c Hyper 7 buggy. In 10 minutes time I'm getting up to set it up and I may even disable the drive to the front wheels. Snow + rwd + 45mph + no real problem if I crash equals fun

Dreamer took me a while but then I figured you were referring to the white vans - lol. Driving to work the other day I had one pushing me along at 90mph!!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 AM

I have had 1 nightmare snow journey in the S but to be honest the MR2 roadster was far worse to handle in those conditions.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 AM

I'd have thought with its mid-engined layout you might get a little more weight over the rear axle to press the tyres into the snow?

The S2000 is the worst car I've driven in the snow followed by my Saxo as it was too light but with (relatively speaking) wide tyres. My scooby wasn't as good as you'd think as again the wide tyres would sit and spin on top of the snow and whilst moving off was ok stopping and turning was a whole new ball game. The best car for snow was my old G-reg 1.3 Polo CL. The front wheels were like rich tea biscuits and dug through the snow to the road
Old 03-04-2006, 03:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

well done for getting here in one piece.

i live in aberdeen and since i got back onshore on thursday i've spent most of my time digging my S out of various piles of snow...........it came up past the rear numberplate in the long stay car park at the airport on thursday. Then yesterday i tried to leave for work at 7.30 and by 8.30 i'd managed to get the car about 10 yards and parked on the other side of the street..........i couldn't get to work and spent 2 hours yesterday afternoon digging just so i could get the car back to where i started in the morning.

without proper snow tires the car is undrivable in these conditions.....by the way did anyone else up this way think armageddon was impending yesterday morning when we had a near blizzard accompanied by thunder and lightning?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:38 AM

I wasn't up for that but I heard that the lightening was illuminating the sky pink/purple - that must have been pretty cool.

Just back from a walk with the dog and car (r/c one). The buggy was great fun in the lighter snow where it would drift, skid and do doughnuts but unfortunately my glow starter battery died and I couldn't start my second tank of fuel On the way back we walked through a field and the snow was up to my knees What was a 400m walk felt like 10 miles!!

Quick Reply: Never Again!