UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Neighbour reversed into my door

Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbour reversed into my door

Afternoon all,

I'm after a bit of advice with regards to repairing my car car.

Yesterday morning I got a knock on the door and it was the neighbour to say he'd reversed into my door. I went out side to find my o/s door all creased and his Ford Mondeo bumper smashed to pieces all around it. Gutted

The guy was apologising like mad and saying he'd happily pay for the damage, so I said I'd run it over to my friend's house (who's an autobody repairer by trade) and see how much he can fix it for. He knocked me up a quote of
Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 AM

1/ No. You were parked. And in your bed.
2/ Yes. But as per 1 you are not to blame. At it may bump up your premium a bit until it is sorted. But you will get the money back
3/ Yes - you can chose the repairer. Use Hondacare. Remember in your welcome pack when you bought the car.
4/ Yes - You need transport.

Having been on the opposite side of this - grazing a fellow members car on here. I fessed up, I told my insurance company I did not admit liability. This is important!!!

But I told the insurance company - the other guy was parked and I was moving. ( geddit. )

They dealt with it without the need for the OP to involve his insurance company.

Edit - Although it was very minor damage to his car - The reason I used the insurance company was - He's a good bloke and if it were "off the books" - if there was any issues with the work done etc - it can get messy.

Insurance job means that no-one needs to fall out.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 AM

Bad luck. But a least your neighbour admitted fault. Mind you, it would have been pretty difficult for him to deny!

1. Yes, it will inevitably affect your premiums. Being involved in a non-fault claim makes you "riskier" in the eyes of the insurer than not being involved in any claim/accident at all.

Seems unfair, but that's how they work.

2. Read your policy terms and conditions. It may be safer to do so than not. In any case you will need to mention at renewal time.

3. Yes, but I think your chosen repairer must be on the insurer's "approved list". Someone may correct me if I'm wrong here.

The insurer may rely on the repairer's assessment of what the best course of action is (eg repair or replace). But if you are insistent enough, you are likely to get your way (particularly if you speak to the repairer beforehand).

4. You should be able to if you are claming off your neighbour's policy. If you were claiming off your own but didn't elect to have a courtesy car, then the answer would be no.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM

3. They don't need to be.
The insurers prefer it as they guarantee the quality of the work.

But... As the car is still under Hondacare.. Using Hondacare - Honda will guarantee the quality of the work.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gaspode,Aug 30 2009, 08:24 AM
3. They don't need to be.
The insurers prefer it as they guarantee the quality of the work.

But... As the car is still under Hondacare.. Using Hondacare - Honda will guarantee the quality of the work.
Cheers. Didn't realise that.

I was going to say I'll remember that for "next time", but I'm hoping there will never be a next time in this case.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Make sure you get a like for like loan car too.

When mine was hit they tried to fob me off with a Mondeo / Vectra / Accord.

Ended up with an SLK instead, not quite like for like, but at least the roof went down
Old 08-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Contact Europa Consultants.

This is really open and closed, you call them and explain the situ. They deal with EVERYTHING for you, you end up with a great hire car, choosing who does the work, and all is well.

I had someone hit the back of my S2000 at 10MPH and crack the bumper. I had a boxster for 2 weeks whilst it was fixed to perfect standards.

just ensure if this happens you ignore any contact from his insurers, they will beg you not to use europa consultants as it costs them a fortune.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may choose your own bodyshop.
But, in that case its unlikely your insurers (in the event of it becoming a fault claim) will offer or reimburse the cost of a hire or loan car.
Most cases you forfit this nicety if you go it alone.
However, most 'approved' shops are only so because they are cheap - ie total cack.
Be aware of this.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by conanius,Aug 30 2009, 10:23 PM
Contact Europa Consultants.

This is really open and closed, you call them and explain the situ. They deal with EVERYTHING for you, you end up with a great hire car, choosing who does the work, and all is well.

I had someone hit the back of my S2000 at 10MPH and crack the bumper. I had a boxster for 2 weeks whilst it was fixed to perfect standards.

just ensure if this happens you ignore any contact from his insurers, they will beg you not to use europa consultants as it costs them a fortune.

Unfortuantely I class this in the same vein as claiming whiplash when you don't have it.
The costs are similar.

We all pay for you in the end, so not good.
See the bigger picture please?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. As a result I feel a lot more comfortable about what's going to happen, and am therefore a lot less stressed than I was.

I'm due to do a Car Limits day a week tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be turning up there with a bashed up door, which isn't ideal as I fancied getting some photos taken this time around. Oh well.

I shall give Europa Consultants a call tomorrow and see what they advise.

Thanks again

Dan

Quick Reply: Neighbour reversed into my door