UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Negative fuel consumption

Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative fuel consumption

Filled the car up a couple of days ago. Did a 180 mile round trip yesterday and the fuel guage was reading a tad under half. Went out to pick up a takeaway last night and on the way back, the guage was reading almost full. WTF.
Anyway, I needed to go on a business trip today that should have got me there and back on the fuel I thought I had. As I was unsure of the guage accuracy, I carried a can of petrol in the boot just in case.
Started the trip this morning and again the guage was reading almost full. After about 20 miles, checked the guage and it had gone back down to under the half measure and appears to have been OK since.
Anyone else had this happen? Possibly a sticking float / sensor or a glitch on the guage?
I have read on here that the fuel guage can be a bit temperamental but to this degree!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Apparently if you undo the petrol cap let out the pressure you should get a more accurate reading.
Good luck!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Why is the S Guage so bad?

What on earth made Honda think it would be clever to have a computer try and analyse a drivers driving habits and then use some kind of crystal ball algorithm to decide how much fuel the driver should be told is left.

I'm guessing this is what is happening here; either that or Honda's sensor for fuel remaining is absolute rubbish.

I suspect 99.999% of owners would rather simply be told how much actual fuel there is in the tank and not some reply from a wise computer who imagines that for the next 30 miles I will be driving in a certain 'predictable' manner.

Single worst thing about the car by a long way.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by NigelC,Oct 1 2008, 11:32 PM
Anyone else had this happen? Possibly a sticking float / sensor or a glitch on the guage?
Had something similar happen immmediately after I disconnecting the "hood down when moving" wire. Gauge showed tank almost full however it was almost empty.

Cured it simply by disconnecting the battery for about 60s.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" sometimes works for S2000s as well as IT
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM

After owning an S2000 for nearly 2 months the fuel gauge is by far the most rediculous thing i've encountered. Its piss poor will fluctuate by as much as 25% on a trip for me. Especially when you first start the car.

Why is it so hard to accurately tell you how much is in the tank?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 AM

I have been out and about today and the guage seems to be back to what I have got used to expect. I have had the car almost a year and never experienced this problem before.
Interesting point about removing the fuel cap. If it happens again I will give that a try.
On a slightly different note. It perplexes me why the low fuel light comes on only to fill up and manage to put in just over 40 litres in the 50 litre tank. Does anyone know if the tank actually holds 50 litres. With the guage dropping off so quickly under the 1/4 tank mark, I find this really frustrating.

I think the car is absolutely fantastic except for the fuel guage and the stereo, but that's another story.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a scan guage............
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Honda Fuel gages are all the same.

In the various Civics/Lude/Integras I have owned/driven, the guage starts off great and you get 150 miles without it moving.

Then you start it up again and you have 1/4 of a tank.

Then you start it up again and you have 3/4 of a tank

And then you'd run out.

I use the trip as a fuel gauge, but despite that, the closest I have come to running out, without doing so, is following Kiwi to last months NW meet. 1 litre left!!!