UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

needing some advice about bumper respray?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing some advice about bumper respray?

Hi, My shiny new MY04 was in at hyndland a few weeks ago for something or other and when they brought it back to me It was parked in my drive. next day I noticed some scuffing on one side of my rear bumper!

none to happy, I mentioned this to my sales person while phoning about something else. did not take it any firther as it really was not that bad, just annoying.

However, it was in with them again getting the alarm adjusted on friday and I picked it up and immediately drove down from glasgow to northampton. on arrival I noticed that the other side of the rear bumper had now acquired a worse scuff mark? I am thinking both are due to scuffing by pressure washer hose or something similar and are definitely not bumper to bumper scratches.

Well I was back in the dealer today negotiating for a new accord and mentioned the scratches to the service manager, very calmly. He got his valet person to try to buff them out. one one side, it worked very well and I would be happy although the scratches can still be seen at an angle. On the other though, there are still visible scratches on the underhang of the bumper and one long one running along the top edge....sorry no pics yet. These are not noticable unless you get within a foot or so.

As they were unable to polish them out, they have very reasonably offered to respray the whole bumper which shoudl give a perfect match as the rest of the paint is only a few months old (black).

While I am very impressed with them (hyndland honda, glasgow) for accepting the situation and not trying to weasel out if it, I am a bit worried about getting the bumper painted...

will it affect the look of the car, will they match it right, will it devalue it etc....???

Advice would be appreciated.

Just remember that colin at hyndland is very decent and they have gone up a good few notches in my estimation for being so forthcomming...shame about the numpty washing the car of course!

Of course, being in the process of buying another car from them probably helped

cheers for any advice

MJI
Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 AM

Since your car is brand spanking new .. i doubt the original color has faded much secondary to the weather. I would think u ought to get a perfect colour match. Otherwise, u might have to use a Zaino claybar.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a front bumper resprayed when the car was about 18 months old, and it was a perfect match - and it wasnt a honda dealer, just a coach builder with good reputation - he matched the silverstone perfectly. However I have recently spotted a defect in the paint on the front bumper which i am going to post about separately. Just going to run outside now!

Hyndland Honda are another good example of a decent dealer who reads this site and takes note
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM

Never, ever, ever let the dealer wash the car

with Rocephin
Old 03-30-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Since the paint is clear coat over base, only an iron bar will really effect the shade!

The match should be perfect, as we haven't had enogh sun yet to turn it brown.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:35 AM

more worried now about getting a rubbish finish - orange peel, dust underneath or poor lacquer not showing up for a year or so??
MJI
Old 03-30-2004, 11:37 AM

Mike

My front bumper was scratched by Chathams about 3 months after I got it, and they resprayed it FOC - it was a good job, and you could never tell (apart from the lack of fresh stonechips). They didn't even have to take off the bumper apparently.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto here. Most of my car has been resprayed at some time.