UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need some cleaning gear for my Berlina Black

Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Product is one thing, time is another.

If you want to clean and tart up your car, just use some filler polish and then seal it in. You'll get quite good results doing this!

Best thing is that start to finish you're looking at a couple of hours tops.

Otherwise, you need to invest in a machine, cutting compounds, differing mops and applying 50 coats of zaino over 3 months like this fruit:

http://www.detailing...ead.php?t=81391

Happy cleaning
That is beyond anal ! I bet he is a barrel of laughs to live with.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
[
Autoglym is almost never used by detailers, regardless of HM's useage, there's a good reason for that. Nothing wrong with HONDA paint either other than it seems very thin.
Hi Paul . Sorry mate, I have to disagree.

Autoglym make some very good products although there are much better products out there.

Super Resin Polish polished by machine is very good if your paint isn't too bad to begin with. It is high in filler content so will disguise alot of defects.

As has been said, proper paint correction is a different ball game but unless you want to get the compound out every time you get a swirl it just isn't practical all the time.

PS the paint on my 2 S2000's wasn't thin. It was pretty much the industry standard. (120- 140 microns(ish). It was very soft though.

If you want thin paint BMW Mini's are very thin (80- 90 microns(ish). Paint is quite hard though.

Happy detailing

PPS. That bloke with the Nurburgring Astra is my hero. He's locked up in a mental institution now. I visit him when I can.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM

My s2k scratches if I breathe on it funny so there is no way I'm going anywhere near it with anything more than safe Autoglym stuff. Car needs a respray or at least a blow over of clear coat. Anything else and you are just polishing a turd. The paint is so so soft.

Looks lovely when it is clean, but that doesn't last long being black!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Product is one thing, time is another.

If you want to clean and tart up your car, just use some filler polish and then seal it in. You'll get quite good results doing this!

Best thing is that start to finish you're looking at a couple of hours tops.

Otherwise, you need to invest in a machine, cutting compounds, differing mops and applying 50 coats of zaino over 3 months like this fruit:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81391

Happy cleaning
My god I've seen some things in my time, ,,,did you see the state of his nails
Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put an order in. I've found the bay cheaper than any detailing website!

Valetpro Wheel Bilberry Cleaner and Poorboys Sealant, Brush, Cloth and Pad Kit - £23.50
POORBOYS NATTY'S PASTE WAX BLUE 8OZ (473ML)- £12.95
POORBOYS Black Hole 16oz (473ml) / Car Glaze / Special for Dark / Black Paint £11.79
Bilt Hamber Auto/Car Clay Bar SOFT 200g Detailing £11.94

I wanted the Victoria wax, but over budget for the moment really, when I saw the cheap price and good reviews of the Natty's wax I couldn't resist

The clay has turned up today, it's massive! Much bigger than my Mequires one I bought a couple of years ago which I ruined by using diluted car shampoo as the lubricant (Just dried and went crusty!)

I will be going to Tesco later as they had a cloth, pad, cleaning kit for about £5 which is good value imo
Also off to the pound shop to pick up some cheap spray bottles for any diluted chemicals e.g. Bilberry

Need to order something good for the windows now.

Once I have spent a couple of hours washing, polishing and waxing it, what am I meant to do the following week when it's dirty? I don't want to end up stripping the wax every weekend accidently? Also something to use in the engine bay!?

How do you guys wash yours dirty cloths?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Washing machine or replace with new.

As for the car getting dirty, this is why I find detailing completely pointless. If it is a daily drive, then it looks great for 30 mins that it is sat on the drive, you then drive it every day to work and by the end of the week you wonder why you spent £100 and 7 hours of your time on a car that is now filthy. Sure it is easy to get it clean again by just rinsing, shampoo and dry it off, but you could have just done that in the first place and gone for a nice drive rather than detail it.

I dunno, I put a lot of effor into the E-Type because that has pukka, old school lead based paint and you can get a really good shine on it, plus it is stored in the garage and never sees wet roads or rain or anything but bright sunshine, it therefore only gets dusty. I put the same effort into the S2k, the shine was half as good, the scratches from it being a daily still visible and I was just competely peeved with the whole situation that I spent 6 hours of my life on a perfectly sunny day, perfect for top down hooning on a car with shit paint and a shine that wasn't much better a week on than when I wash it normally.

If its a garage queen, fine. If its a daily drive, its a complete waste of time IMO. (unless you enjoy detailing cars!)

Graham
Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by s2k_Nut' timestamp='1337422196' post='21711963
[
Autoglym is almost never used by detailers, regardless of HM's useage, there's a good reason for that. Nothing wrong with HONDA paint either other than it seems very thin.
Hi Paul . Sorry mate, I have to disagree.

Autoglym make some very good products although there are much better products out there.

Super Resin Polish polished by machine is very good if your paint isn't too bad to begin with. It is high in filler content so will disguise alot of defects.

As has been said, proper paint correction is a different ball game but unless you want to get the compound out every time you get a swirl it just isn't practical all the time.

PS the paint on my 2 S2000's wasn't thin. It was pretty much the industry standard. (120- 140 microns(ish). It was very soft though.

If you want thin paint BMW Mini's are very thin (80- 90 microns(ish). Paint is quite hard though.

Happy detailing

PPS. That bloke with the Nurburgring Astra is my hero. He's locked up in a mental institution now. I visit him when I can.
Hi Steve, no worries everyone is entitled to their point of view.

Wayne, don't stick your cloths in a washing machine, that implies using washing liquid and that can leave residue within the fibres that will cause streakyness the next time you use them (also a washing machine is very aggresive on the cloths). Wash them by hand in a bowl with a half cup full of detergent (not the liquid and nothing with 'softeners' in), wring and squeeze them until all the product is out of them, rinse and dry.

Detailing and in particular the products you use determine how much of a 'waste of time' as gbduo states is where it matters. Using good products to protect your work is important, you could use Zaino, or you could use Collinite as suggested by Steve (although I find the finish/gloss poor but it is something I would use in the winter months, and it is very good on wheels too). Once the summer or warmer weather is here I don't find it such a chore to clean my car once a week, certainly once every two weeks, and if this is the case for you then applying your last step product after washing will keep your car looking good. The winter is a different kettle of fish but I don't worry about that at this time of the year
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM

It's hard to wash a car when we are in a 'drought' and have a stupid hose pipe ban to cover up the water boards incompetence.

I put the cloths in the washing machine on a v quick rinse, no soap or anything. But I have about 15 of them and I can't be bothered to hand wash all of them!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers for the comments guys! And the encouragement gbduo!!!!

My view, is that if I put a decent amount of effort in every couple of months including clay, polish, wax, both body and wheels... then it will be easier every week when i'm doing a quick wash. I take pride in my car, I don't have a house so it's my most valuable posession and an hour and a half every week washing, drying and using quick detailer is nothing for my lovely car!!

Anyway, nothing else has turned up yet so as I was bored I purchased a microfibre wash mitt for the wheels and microfibre long haired sponge thing from the pound shop. Used them both today and am well impressed! No more using a sponge for me!!! Will go and get more tmoz!! The hand mitt on the wheel spokes was a god send! Also got a couple of buckets from Halfords.

Washed the car with two bucket method with some AutoGlym shampoo I have (luminescent green/yellow colour!), then covered car in clean water and clayed it with the Bilt Hamber. Love that clay and used less than a third! So rewarding when you can feel how smooth the paintwork is, can really feel it working! Washed it quickly with water and then dried it with my kent drying towel.

Only have autoglym Super resin polish and the autoglym sealant but I want to use my new stuff! Off work tmoz so will see if it turns up! Car will look stunning after

Used wonder wheels hot wheel cleaner on the wheels as I had a little left. It stinks!!! Yuk. Worked ok though. The clay, being soft, was no good at getting the tar spots off the wheels though which was a shame.

Now to 'hand wash' my cloths i've used ;-) Cheers s2k-nut
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 PM

This was my car after washing with Autoglym stuff and Autobilt clay:-

But then I did the E-Type shortly after and the difference, with the same products was night and day. Its all about the paint quality. Don't get me wrong, the S2k looked good, but you are always limited by the paint you are presented with.

Still, its good fun in the end, I am just getting grumpy in my years, which is well ahead of my time really as I am only 25! LOL!

Quick Reply: Need some cleaning gear for my Berlina Black