UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need Advice For A Second Car.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

rahula - why not get that Orange S you always wanted for her?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jul 19 2004, 08:12 PM
rahula - why not get that Orange S you always wanted for her?
did you even read what the requirments are!
Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rahula,Jul 19 2004, 01:39 PM
StevenM: can you explain a bit more on that please?
The RAV4 felt top heavy and slow meaning that I had to slow down for roundabouts

The CRV feels much more planted and for a big car handles quite well. It is quieter than the RAV, accelerates better and is better made.

The CRV is also a lot more comfortable. When I first drove it I thought that I could easily drive it all day.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 PM

The Nissan X-Trail may be too big and/or expensive for you, but it seems to be the best in class from reading the reviews.

CRV now has 2.2 TD engine IIRC, which it never had before.

I admit, the Toyota interior is a bit plasticy and plain, but in the reviews it comes out above the CRV IIRC

Are you talking about the current incarnation of the RAV Steven?

Freelanders have appalling reliability as you probably know Rahul, but people keep buying them - my Aunt is on her second, despite it spending more time in the garage than your average TVR. Customers seem to love them in spite of all the problems
Old 07-19-2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by neil_s2k,Jul 19 2004, 03:59 PM
I had a Subaru Forrester Turbo as a courtesey car when I had the Impreza. Absolutely huge and great for dogs, and handled like the Impreza, great fun and worth a test drive at least (even if you aren't going to buy one ). You'll be amazed at how a big car can handle so well.
I agree...stunning car...my brother in law drives one. They are very very impressive.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 AM

The Nissan X-Trail is an awesome car but you are right, my wife won't drive it because she thinks it is too big but then again she does like the X5 and therefore the X3 too. We are going to the showrooms this weekend to try a few cars out.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 19 2004, 05:18 PM
would you care to elaborate. my girlfriend wants one at the moment. we test drove one at the weekend and i thought it drove fine tbh.

what makes it tiring?
Hi lower,

Yeah we've had a 'lander in the family for 2 years now (2000 model), depends on the year you are buying, they may have changed, but don't get the 1.8ltr its gutless, the Td4(auto) is the best, the V6 thirsty (16mpg )

On the m'way you are always having to concentrate as it tramlines and wallows about as the suspension is too soft, needs a slightly firmer ride. Roundabouts arrgh, aquaplanning in standing water, it's got it all, but then haven't most cars! They eat tyres like they are going out of fashion and they are quite noisy when driving. So when it comes to a long trip (with minimal luggage) we go in the S. I could drive the S all day. All in all I like the space of the 'lander and the interior finish is querky but I really like it.

Depends on the year, but (touch wood) we have never had a problem with ours, but they always score very low in the reliability polls.

Food for thought.

G
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 AM

Personally I'd go for an Estate or an MPV. Far better value for money. People won't hate you for it either Far better to drive, many of them are every bit as practical as a truck (I mean 4x4 ) with the exception of headroom in the estates (I doubt the dogs need much in that dept anyway ) If she's not going off road then why pay all the extra for the 4X4 trickery? Pay that extra for better dynamics IMO. Fuel costs will be far better in an estate/mpv not to mention lower other running costs.

Suggestions if you need the headroom:
Renault Espace
Vauxhall Zafira
Honda Stream

Suggestions if you don't need the headroom:
Audi estates
Volvo estates
Merc estates
VW estates

etc....

btw - what budget are you talking?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rahula,Jul 19 2004, 08:40 PM
did you even read what the requirments are!
I don't have to conform to the requirements, merely checking if the requirements are REALLY necessary

Old 07-20-2004, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Jul 20 2004, 10:32 AM
Personally I'd go for an Estate or an MPV. Far better value for money. People won't hate you for it either Far better to drive, many of them are every bit as practical as a truck (I mean 4x4 ) with the exception of headroom in the estates (I doubt the dogs need much in that dept anyway ) If she's not going off road then why pay all the extra for the 4X4 trickery? Pay that extra for better dynamics IMO. Fuel costs will be far better in an estate/mpv not to mention lower other running costs.

Suggestions if you need the headroom:
Renault Espace
Vauxhall Zafira
Honda Stream

Suggestions if you don't need the headroom:
Audi estates
Volvo estates
Merc estates
VW estates

etc....

btw - what budget are you talking?
I think you are right and the more I thought about this last night made me come to the same conclusions. I think Geeta wanted a 4x4 because she would like to be driving one but when we sat down and discussed it in more detail, things like centre of gravity, fuel economy and safety we feel a small MPV/estate would be the better option. She is not keen on estate cars so a small mpv will have to do.

We don't have any kids yet but there might be some in the next couple of years. Budget is

Quick Reply: Need Advice For A Second Car.