UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need Advice For A Second Car.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice For A Second Car.

My wife is opting out of her company car scheme and is keen to get a 4x4 since we hope to get a couple of dogs later this year. We originally were going to get the new SLK but she doesn't reckon that she will have the roof down a lot because the drive means she needs to put a hat on to get to work looking decent and because of security fears while she is alone in the car.

She won't really be going off-road in the new car so we are thinking about the HRV or CRV but the jazz is not an option. But I am also looking at the Rav4, the civic and the new seat. She doesn't like any BMW models or a saloon car of any type.

So those who own one of these cars what are your views?

What I want from her car is saftey first, space for dogs and decent motoway speed. So out of all the cars mentioned which ones are worth a test drive?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:39 AM
GSi

looking to buy new or nearly new?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:41 AM

new please
Old 07-19-2004, 04:49 AM

My Dad has a RAV4 D1-D, and I have to say it's one of the most impressive cars I've ever driven because it's totally different from what you expect from a 4X4.

5 door = loads of room - rear seats easily lift out (I have just moved flat using it!).

T diesel engine very punchy, flexible, surprising turn of speed.

Astonishing fuel consumption - my Dad regularly gets 45mpg on mixed runs (its so good he almost thought the computer was faulty until he did a manual calc).

Handles totally unlike a 4X4 - actually quite good fun to punt around the twisties, great grip on corners, although obviously rolls a bit more than a hot hatch.

Snow? - foot to the floor standing start take offs on hard packed snow is a great party trick. You can drive on snow pretty much the same as you can on tarmac, albeit with a much longer stopping distance.

Very low loading at the rear - great for my folks 3 dogs.

Excellent tyre wear - at 36k miles, the car is on it's original rear tyres, and has only just had new fronts.

Very good residuals - (pretty scarce), but make sure you get decent spec - my Dad always regrets not upgrading the steel wheels when he bought it.

Finally, ultra reliable Toyota, helpful dealer.

"rust on your steel wheels sir? no problem, we'll fit a new set under warranty". Car only ever in the garage for servicing, and its done 36k from new.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 AM

Toyotas are let down by their cheap interiors. Other than that RAV's are fine. The CRV is like it has a V6 under the bonnet, but it is just a I-VTECH, very nice and has a good quality interior with loads of room. I borrowed one from the dealer to take my Hardtop box home and was mightly impressed.

Don't buy a Freelander, they are tiring to drive (my g/friend has one) If not go all out and by an old shape Range Rover for
Old 07-19-2004, 05:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife had a RAV4 and now has a CRV.

I *hated* driving the RAV4 but I don't mind driving the CRV.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:39 AM

Thanks Euan for the very informative and detailed info.

Gazzer, I can't consider the 540 since she thinks they are 'orrible! I agree with you about the freelander.

StevenM: can you explain a bit more on that please?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:59 AM

I had a Subaru Forrester Turbo as a courtesey car when I had the Impreza. Absolutely huge and great for dogs, and handled like the Impreza, great fun and worth a test drive at least (even if you aren't going to buy one ). You'll be amazed at how a big car can handle so well.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Gazzer,Jul 19 2004, 01:02 PM] Toyotas are let down by their cheap interiors. Other than that RAV's are fine. The CRV is like it has a V6 under the bonnet, but it is just a I-VTECH, very nice and has a good quality interior with loads of room. I borrowed one from the dealer to take my Hardtop box home and was mightly impressed.

Don't buy a Freelander, they are tiring to drive (my g/friend has one) If not go all out and by an old shape Range Rover for
Old 07-19-2004, 08:19 AM

I had an HR-V before my S. Not a bad little car. Nippy enough (i had the Vtech 3 door) Good on the twistes. Crap offroad. And it's quite small inside. If ur thinking off having kids or got them then u cant put a baby seat in the front (passanger seat that is). And the other bad thing was my dogs badly scratched the plastic in the boot and the back bumper lip.

Quick Reply: Need Advice For A Second Car.