UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nearest ive come to the limit....

Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearest ive come to the limit....

I was cruising about tonight, and was heading down quite a steep road at a reasonable pace.
There's a group of lads and laddets standing at the side of the road, ive just washed the S, and I decide ill give them a taste of 9k RPM (yes, I wanted to show off).
So I blast past, change at top of second, hammering through third, when I suddenly spot that the road does a 90 degree left turn!! and worse still, traffic joins from the other side too!!
I didnt have time to brake in a straight line, so entered this very sharp left at massive speed with my foot feathering the brakes as hard as I dare. Unbelievably, for a car with the reputation of the S, it sailed through the bend, and I was even able to hammer it through the last bit.

I was a complete idiot to accelerate that hard on a road I dont know in the dark, but it did show me just how much the S can forgive, I was seriously expecting to lose the car, but althou it snaked a bit, it held a pretty good line even under braking on a hard corner.
The cosequences of losing it would have been dire, big curb leads you off to the left, with a number of sign boards on the island bit. Its deceptive, almost appears you can go straight down the road, whereas what actually happens is it veers you off left, and straight on is reserved for oncoming traffic, very hard to explain.

New rears have really transformed the car, doesnt skip sideways anymore, hangs on beautifully, and gets you out of potentially nasty situations when you get yourself into them, luckily for me, otherwise I think id have a number one for Carpers list.

No more stupidity!! at least for a few days.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:17 PM
GSi

Where abouts? was it in Maidstone?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Ric

It's a fine line between impressing a bunch of kids and impressing yourself into a bunch of kids. Either way is fun, though.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 PM

I am assuming the road was dry at the time?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:47 PM

Road was dry, which made all the difference no doubt, but even in the dry I would never conciously have pushed that hard into the corner.

Yeah, thats the one GSi!! takes you to the big roundabout if you go off to the right after the sharp left.
I do actually know the road, but not well, as I live in Maidstone, but I passed the camera, and didnt even think, just hammered it, forgot completely that it goes left at a serious pace (Doh!).

There were tons of chav mobiles out tonight as well, was on my way to gym at Lockmeadows, and that little section of road has more chav cars per mile than any I know, Jumping Jacks attracts them, good to have a bit of a play along that section from time to time, but difficult to get into VTEC.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Confucius him say "only go at a speed such that you can stop on your side of the road in the space you can see to be available"
Old 08-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SideShowB0b,Aug 16 2004, 10:10 PM
New rears have really transformed the car
What you got at the rear then Bob? Do you mean new S02s or have you gone for a different flavour?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've all done it in our early ownership days. Don't worry about it too much and learn from it.

I nailed it on week two of ownership in the bone dry on the A556, near Altrincham. Now I got away with it, it twitched like hell and was totally on the limit.

I think thats the difference here: We ALL pretty much go for it in the early days - those of us that 'get away with it' are lucky and never do it again but some unfortunate ones are not so lucky and trash their cars, but probably never do it again either (!).

So, I`d say, you're in the lucky pile - be thankful and think twice in the future.

Stay safe kidz!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:35 PM
GSi

Originally Posted by SideShowB0b,Aug 17 2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah, thats the one GSi!! takes you to the big roundabout if you go off to the right after the sharp left.
I do actually know the road, but not well, as I live in Maidstone, but I passed the camera, and didnt even think, just hammered it, forgot completely that it goes left at a serious pace (Doh!).

There were tons of chav mobiles out tonight as well, was on my way to gym at Lockmeadows, and that little section of road has more chav cars per mile than any I know, Jumping Jacks attracts them, good to have a bit of a play along that section from time to time, but difficult to get into VTEC.
I still don't know which road it is though Just a guess that it was in town.

Can you give me a name? or a landmark (other than Jumpin Jacks )

Or do you mean the road that comes down from Tonbridge Road to the one way system over the bridges?

Rob.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SideShowB0b,Aug 16 2004, 10:10 PM
No more stupidity!! at least for a few days.
I managed to spin my car last night

Quick Reply: Nearest ive come to the limit....