UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MY00 Hardtop heated window fuse/relay?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 Hardtop heated window fuse/relay?

Hi Everyone

Just picked up new car today - noticed that the heated rear window isn't working on the hardtop.

Any ideas why? The little indicator light on the switch doesn't come on either although the symbol on it does light up with the dash lighting etc.

I can't see reference to which fuses/relays will run the rear window in the handbook - anyone got any ideas?

My car is an early car BTW and the hardtop was bought by the previous owner (new, from honda) and he paid them to fit it with the honda fitting kit etc.

Cheers

Will.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Stupid question , but is the hard top pluged in , have you checked the fuse
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Yes it's plugged in, but I can't see which fuse runs it! Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 PM

Right - the plot thickens

Have pulled every fuse I can find in all 3 fuse boxes and they are all ok

Have tested the 3 relays under the dash (small ones) and they function correctly - tested on the bench.

Have removed trim behind passenger seat and all loom plugs are ok and have re-seated etc.

Checked loom under centre console and this appears ok too.

No power is present at the rear window with the switch in either position.

Have checked the bulb in the switch to ensure it's ok - it is!

So where do I go from here?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 AM
MI5

Hi,
I had a similar problem which I eventually sussed by trial, error and pure good luck.
I discovered that my problem was at the point where the rear window wiring plugs into the car loom - the bit sticking up to the rear of the passenger seat. The socket here had 3 wires and 3 terminals, the plug for the rear window only had two wires. All I had to do was join the middle terminal at the socket to one of the wires to the window (I think it was a brown one) thus making 3 wires at the plug and my demist worked.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 AM

That's very interesting as I noticed that the socket on the car had 3 pins - one earth, one live and one dead.

Only 2 wires on my heated screen coil cable too.

Did your switch / relay all operate ok before/after etc?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Right - have fixed it!!!

Needed to connect the yellow/black wire to the black wire in the loom where the plug socket is behind the passenger seat.

So I took the panel out, cut the middle pin wire (yellow/black) and spliced it in the black wire.

All works just fine now.

Also found which fuse it is - aux fuse box in the engine bay, next to the battery (small fuse box) - its top left, as you look at the fusebox from above when standing by the NSF wheel. It's a 20A.

I've got a photo of the wires spliced if someone can tell me how to post up a picture!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

I also have a problem withe the rear heated screen. I think I may have the opposite problem.

My car is a 2002 GT and the car connection point has two pins. The hardtop did not originally belong with my car and the connector has three wires coming from it. The rear heated screen works in the soft top and the light on the switch lights up when it is pressed, both when the hardtop wiring is connected and when it is not.

Has anyone any idea what I need to do? Do I need to splice wires?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by itguy
Right - have fixed it!!!

Needed to connect the yellow/black wire to the black wire in the loom where the plug socket is behind the passenger seat.

So I took the panel out, cut the middle pin wire (yellow/black) and spliced it in the black wire.

All works just fine now.

Also found which fuse it is - aux fuse box in the engine bay, next to the battery (small fuse box) - its top left, as you look at the fusebox from above when standing by the NSF wheel. It's a 20A.

I've got a photo of the wires spliced if someone can tell me how to post up a picture!

I'd like to see those pics to see if it fixes my problem,