UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My worst nightmare, hole in the roof

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a faffer, it took me 2 months to get my centre caps sorted.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RobinA3
mine developed a nice hole as well recently, its only small but its annoying!

Mine has gone in the exact same place on both sides. Cut out two shaped pieces of acoustic carpet, liberal coating of spray tile adhesive and fitted the patches in place behind the splits.

Now there is something to protect and prevent the splits from worsening, it's fine and should be for the foreseeable. Had i known that there was sharp metal behind there, i'd have done something about it sooner.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spies
well don't leave it too long, the more the roof goes up and down the bigger it gets

Fester, can you see behind that part of the roof from inside the car to know exactly where to put the acoustic cloth? I want to do some preventative work on mine in that area as I can tell it will go sooner or later and have just put the tear aid above the shoulder area on both sides...the drivers side has visibly worn in the last 6 weeks so good job I've done it now!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm doing without roof down action until its sorted.

Going to get tear-aid from millets.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recent thread on this issue Roof Patches may be of assistance!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Hope you got it sorted if not have a read of the repair products I used.

Originally Posted by Rogc
Firstly thankyou to everyone who gave advice. After looking at the price of a new hood £765 I decided I just couldnt justify it just yet. So set about a repair. A temporary patch applied with Bostic is supporting the repair.

Pre repair, not looking pretty.

Post Repair, a little excess that needs trimming, colour match not that bad, in real light.

I could have made a better job, but was looking to make it water tight, i may use a very sharp stanley blade to trim flush and reapply the vinyl repair product. I used

Came with a variety of colours, that you mix, sets in about 20 minutes, and seems to be very well adhered, so fingers crossed, it will last till the spring next year.

Thanks again

Roger
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Floppy
Originally Posted by Spies' timestamp='1310390542' post='20766663
well don't leave it too long, the more the roof goes up and down the bigger it gets

Fester, can you see behind that part of the roof from inside the car to know exactly where to put the acoustic cloth? I want to do some preventative work on mine in that area as I can tell it will go sooner or later and have just put the tear aid above the shoulder area on both sides...the drivers side has visibly worn in the last 6 weeks so good job I've done it now!
You can't see it ... but you can get at it to put a liner in place to stop more wear or prevent wear if you don't have it already.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Just to say tear-aid lasted a grand total of 3 times before the roof bar started pulling it off!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:32 AM

I have since removed the lizard skin from the wear point I thought was causing the hole and I have wrapped it around the bar that runs the width of the roof.

As it pulled the tear-aid patch off it was dragging and pulling on the new patch I had applied, by having the lizard skin around the roof bar it makes the movement more smooth.

Will see how this holds up.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Floppy
Just go and buy some tear Aid and you'll be sorted. It's transparent, 0. Something of a mm thick designed for wetsuits, wind surfing sails and soft tops and costs less than a tenner.
Would you recommend this over stormsure? I have slight shoulder wear, and can see a little day light through.. as these are clear I'm assuming I'd still see day light? Also are they noticable as they look to be quite shiny.

Thanks

Quick Reply: My worst nightmare, hole in the roof