UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My worst nightmare, hole in the roof

Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My worst nightmare, hole in the roof

This morning I glanced behind my right shoulder to find daylight showing through the roof in the usual place

I'm really surprised this has happened because I've had lizard skins on the bars which are reported to cause the problems since I got the car!

Not sure what my best course of action is now, the car isn't garaged so it needs fixing before the rain comes (probably today), but I want a neat fix and not something that's going to show on the outside of the roof.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spies
This morning I glanced behind my right shoulder to find daylight showing through the roof in the usual place

I'm really surprised this has happened because I've had lizard skins on the bars which are reported to cause the problems since I got the car!

Not sure what my best course of action is now, the car isn't garaged so it needs fixing before the rain comes (probably today), but I want a neat fix and not something that's going to show on the outside of the roof.

Mine is doing the same, I have my old roof in the shed, and im going to stick some patches on the inside, where the frame rubs,
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM

I've been reading and the general consensus is to use wet suit glue and a patch of material on the inside.

Is this a good permanent fix?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 AM

I discovered the same thing a couple weeks ago... looked up and saw the cloth fraying with pin pricks of sun light coming through, where the shoulder of the bar rubs. Nothing is evident from the outside.

Even though it was sunny with no chance of rain I legged it to BnQ in a panic, looking for duct tape. This should prevent further damage until somebody suggests a better solution to plug it.
I'm thinking some sort of resin and cover with self adhesive cloth?

EDIT: Thanks Spies will look into that
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 AM

Or copydex and a piece of fabric.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:09 AM

I found this stuff give a great repair:

http://aquaventurers.biz/STORMSURE-C...ive-15gms-SS15
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 AM

How did you apply it? From the outside of the roof? How did you prevent more wear from the inside?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 AM

I had a full on split by the bottom of the window on the drivers side, its extremely hard wearing stuff and is holding up well, it has only been a month since the repair, but in these heat, the hood has been up and down lots of times.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:03 AM

Mine has a hole but just forward of the drivers head! There is a very sharp piece of metal that has rubbed a hole through it. I have to say that it really doesn't leak much at all. In fact during some pretty terrible rain on a trip to Yorkshire it didn't drip once! The only time I have noticed any water was a few drips on the driver’s seat one morning when the car was sat overnight and this hadn't been enough to soak into the seat.

I have had it repaired by a local trim guy (roofs, upholstery, etc.). He used roof vinyl. The heat does seem to affect the adhesive though and it is beginning to peel off. I put a small fold of cloth a few layers thick as I put the roof down, to further protect the area, when the roof is down. All the usual wear areas seem absolutely fine for an eight year old car.

See my next post regarding the wonky hard-top though

Gordon
Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 AM

I have the same problem. I've ordered a piece of genuine roof material from Hendy. I was going to stick it to the inside using carpet glue?

Quick Reply: My worst nightmare, hole in the roof