UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My S2k satnav solution

Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S2k satnav solution

I thought Id post what iv been upto this morning as Satnav is a major headache for S2k owners and I have found what I think it a pretty neat solution.

So after seeing the shots of another users TT ONE mounted on the left air vent the other day, I decided to go and buy one thinking that I would just relocate to the right and it would be all good

Shock horror when I got the unit home and discovered that the additional mount kit that I purchased sits out a good inch or MORE and was utterly impractical and in the way, so I set about customising the base cradle that comes with the TT ONE....

The result:

I have decided to have the power cable hardwired under the dash and to be tucked out of way and for the unit to run on battery power most of the time, obviously the cable will come out when needed though.

The unit is completely stable and secure, I used rubber hosing to tighten the mount onto the vent and to secure it firmly into place, when I get out of the car the unit easily slides off.

Overall, VERY happy with this solution, the screen is clearly visible (although you must use a low glare colour scheme otherwise it can be very distracting), touchscreen functions are perfectly within reach and the unit itself blends in very nicely with the rest of the interior.

The TT ONE also has SUPERB GPS reception, it usually takes nomore then around 5 secs to gain a lock and thus far hasnt lost it even in dense forest where my old GO would instantly lose touch, I brought it inside to update the firmware and add some POI's and it even had GPS reception in my room. The screen in also brighter, clearer and scrolls smoother then that of the current GO series.

Overall, top marks all round so far, a great product.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That does look neat!

I've only had TTG seriously drop out in Central London, but I suppose down your neck of the woods (!) it's more of a problem.

for the review. Sounds like the product is now seriously good.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:43 AM

Thanks Nick

I did used to have more problems around Epping forest then in Central London so you are 100% correct there.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 AM

Thats wicked , thats the solution Ive been waiting for nice job!

Can you show what you did the the mount , I too was looking at the additional mounting kit that has the vent mount

Old 03-16-2006, 02:49 AM

Nice - do like the TT1 - where did you get the S2000 wallpaper ?

EDIT: You're driving far too sedately if Trip B is since your last fill up
Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 AM

Looks good but what do you do when you get cold hands

How much do these go for? I really fancy a sat nav system.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:53 AM

You could use the other vent of course seen
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lickermat,Mar 16 2006, 11:45 AM
Thats wicked , thats the solution Ive been waiting for nice job!

Can you show what you did the the mount , I too was looking at the additional mounting kit that has the vent mount

Thanks

My modifications to the mount werent complex at all, you can see the ruber tubing to hold the bottom in place and I also used some inside the two 'prongs' that emerge from the mount just to make the vent blade a REALLY tight fit when you slot it in, 5 minute job really.

Chris, I only ever fill up halfway, Trib B has covered 3 of those so far

Neil.H, Just remove the ONE to prevent it getting melted and turn the vent to the open position, IF hands are cold AND navigation is required.... tough.

Actually if the heat is turned down, plenty of air gets around the unit just fine.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:58 AM

I picked mine up for
Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 AM

Oh I made the S2000 wallpaper by the way Chris, if anyone wants it i'll send it out no problem.

Quick Reply: My S2k satnav solution