UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My S went for a walk!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default My S went for a walk!

Yesterday my wife looked out the window and asked me if I meant to leave the S halfway off the drive and into the road!!!!

As it's that time of year I thought it worth posting a handbrake warning, as this seems to crop up every year.

Disc brake handbrakes are pants, Discs get hot, you get home, put the handbrake on, and the discs cool down and contract, and the car goes for a ride on its own if you happen to be on a slope (like my drive).

Solution? It's something that just happens and can't be prevented but here's a few tips.

Leave the car in gear.
Try not to park on a slope (obviously).
If out on the road, turn the wheels so they will bite into the kerb.
If possible leave the car ten mins then go out and reapply the handbrake.
At home or in the boot, have a couple of bricks handy to chock the wheels.

Leaving the car in gear will quickly get you into the (good) habit of pressing the clutch when starting, and don't do what many "drivers" round my way do parking on a slope and turn the wheels the wrong way!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound advice.

Mum had a Mondeo estate about 15 years ago. She parked up at a manufacturing site she was visiting. Security called her six hrs later to show the CCTV footage of it start to roll backwards down the car park and reduce a Metro to dust against a brick wall
Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm surprised!

This certainly was a big problem when disc brakes were first applied to the rear wheels, but things have moved on since then.

When I first had my MY02 I continually checked to ensure that there would be no problem with the parking brake, but never had the slightest problem.

Since those early days I have parked up without thinking about it.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually it's the opposite problem: the brakes stick on if you park when they're damp. So in this weather it's a good idea to not use the handbrake at all.

The problem with leaving it in gear and dipping the clutch to start (as I have to anyway) is that as soon as you dip the clutch the car will start rolling backwards. And you won't be expecting that.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Dec 20 2010, 02:51 AM
Usually it's the opposite problem: the brakes stick on if you park when they're damp. So in this weather it's a good idea to not use the handbrake at all.

The problem with leaving it in gear and dipping the clutch to start (as I have to anyway) is that as soon as you dip the clutch the car will start rolling backwards. And you won't be expecting that.
Not using the handbrake is a nice option, if the situation is sutable

Denbo you have two feet, if the handbrake is off use the footbrake!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:07 AM

[QUOTE=dennohue,Dec 20 2010, 02:25 AM] I'm surprised!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc,Dec 20 2010, 11:07 AM
I know I put the handbrake on enough as when I drive the wifes Jizz she complains she can't get her handbrake off!
I have exactly the same problem ! I told my wife she needs stronger wrists

Out of interest, whist there is a lot of snowy weather out there is it sensible to leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels. (I'm on a flat driveway) as I've noticed when I drive away after leaving the car for a week there is a bit of a jolt as the pads seperate from the discs. i can't imagine that is a good thing.

Edit: Think Dembo answered this already should read all thread before posting.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 AM

If you're using the car regularly and want it to hold well, use the foot brake to apply pressure in the braking system and clamp the rear pads against the discs. Then with the pads well clamped, apply the handbrake and lock in position. It won't hold as hard as when braking with the foot brake, but it's a lot easier on your arm and saves stretching the handbrake cable
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 5 years I had my S I used the handbrake about twice!

Much preffered leaving it in gear as there was less chance of it rolling away, pads sticking to the discs, warped discs or siezed up calipers.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by richmc,Dec 20 2010, 02:04 AM
Yesterday my wife looked out the window and asked me if I meant to leave the S halfway off the drive and into the road!!!!
did you ask her whether she had taken it out and left it parked like that?!!

Quick Reply: My S went for a walk!