UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

my S is drinking coolant

Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my S is drinking coolant

my little lady, since a recent service has started drinking coolant at a rate of 1 coolant bottle every 3 weeks. ~(expensive habbit at honda coolant rates) Ive tried to spot any drips but i can not find any sign of a leak..
there is no oil residue and oil is ok. considered a head gasket or cylinder head issue.
I Have a Honda warranty but i Don't have the time to take it in.
anyone suggest something simple i may have overlooked.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I've has excessive coolant use on a few non-Hondas in the past (sometimes as much as half a bottle a day).

On the two occasions this happened when there were no visible leaks it was a head gasket job and a water pump problem.

I've also had a heater matrix problem (also in a non-Honda) and the reason I coudn't find the leak at first was that I was looking outside the car. The leak was inside the car and was only noticeable once the carpet was so saturated that the puddle started to form (I suppose I should have noticed the peculiar smell earlier).

Just a few possibilities to consider - but if it was me I'd do my best to have the car checked by the garage asap. Best of luck in tracking it down.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM

No visible leak, no damp carpets?

Check your oil on dipstick, underside of filler cap and as far as you can see into the engine via the filler cap hole. Can you see any light Brown residue or slime? If yes it could be condensation but more likely as commented the head gasket.

You seriously need to get the system pressure tested ASAP, the S has an alloy block, you really dont want anything to warp due to a gasket issue.

IMO do not do many miles until you have had a pressure test, take it to a normal reputable garage, Honda will sting you for this service but some garages will do it for
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of (that hasn't already been mentioned) is some kind of air pocket in the coolant system. But the amount your having to put back means it would be very large and you'd probably have noticed it already in the form of the car over heating.

I'd get it pressure tested ASAP.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 x pressure test
You need to find out how it is getting out to solve it (I know obvious )
Old 08-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

water's coming out or going in

it's pretty much that simple

coming out, the obvious signs are leaks - even very small leaks will result in a large volume loss over a week or so

culprits are obvious, like split hoses, weeping connections etc, and less obvious, like a duff radiator cap

going in is trickier - as said, water in the oil (check the dipstick and under the rad cap and in the rocker cover for 'mayonnnaise') or steam in the exhaust

rad cap would be my suggestion for something simple you 'may have missed'

hope it's that simple

good luck
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 AM

If water is going into oil check oil level - if it's above max then it's in your sump
Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates ??

Bharat
Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 AM

make sure you are not checking the washer bottle by mistake.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a small leak on a hose next to my TB that took me a few weeks to find. It would only leak when very hot and all the water would very quickly evaporate.

Quick Reply: my S is drinking coolant