UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My Poor S is Back in One Piece

Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Poor S is Back in One Piece

Friday 13th really does bring bad luck...couple that with spineless drivers and an unfamiliar road, and something is bound to go wrong.

On a waterlogged tight right hand bend, I was creeping round, I could see headlights approaching, so slowed even further to ~ 30MPH...I really didn't know how long this bend was going to last for.

Approaching the end of the bend, the car in the opposite lane encroached upon my side of the road, and nudged the O/S of my front bumper. This sent me heading straight towards the embankment. I tried to correct the spin, then headed into the middle of the road...I so nearly caught it...then god knows what happened because I could see the sky for a second, then I saw the field that I had landed in.

What of the other car? God only knows...he/she didn't stop...I didn't even see if they lost and regained control.

Assessed damage thus far:

Front Bumper significantly damaged...new one required
N/S Headlight a bit poorly...main beam has been disconnected, and there's alot of condensation inside.
Drivers door severely dented...I don't think the dent will come out
The sill cover just below the drivers door is majorly mullered...maybe GarageR will have one knocking about if it can't be repaired.
Geo a bit iffy - I'm praying none of the wishbones are bent...I've only just finished polybushing them!
N/S Arch liner - fecked
Undertrays - fecked
Splitter - Found just 15 minutes ago...fecked.
A long metal bracket that sits below the radiator is slightly twisted (not the large crossbeam under the airbox)

Other than that, she 'seems' ok when I drove the 70 miles home this afternoon.

Luckily two cars stopped not long after I ended up in the field and were able to direct me to an opening that lead back onto the road. Driving through it was bloody hairy!

I'm getting her on a lift tomorrow to have a further look and will report back with any further news. I'm also getting the chassis looked at by a pro, just to make sure it's 100% straight.

Don't worry though, I won't be pushing up our premiums...this will be a non insurance job (touchwood)

I feel I could have done a bit more to prevent the car spinning out of control, even though it caught me by surprise. Once she's all back together, I will be getting some skid pan training to better prepare me for the future, and any other knob jockey that can't stay in their own lane

Can I have a tractor badge please?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or buy a Racelogic traction control system

Or just drive to the conditions.

Sorry to hear this mate - it's a bummer.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Very sorry to hear this, glad you're in one piece though.

Good luck with the repairs
Old 11-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Bummer, you just can't be ready for the numpty coming the other way. Good luck with the repairs.

Hey now we have a pair of fecked doors, my passenger door is done in.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear this, hope it gets fixed soon. Don't suppose you know any details about the other car? Where was it?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry to hear that loftust, least you're ok ... but other drivers ....... idiots. Sounds like you were a passenger after getting the nudge
Old 11-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh crap Matt....your not having a whole lot of luck with your S at the moment are you mate Glad you are ok though
Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 AM

Sorry to hear of your mishap,Loftust.Glad you're ok.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Sorry to hear this mate, hope that you can get it back to how it was with the minimum of financial outlay. Glad to hear you are ok though - could have been so much worse...
Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 14 2009, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you were a passenger after getting the nudge
If I were a rally driver, I probably would have been able to cope...unfortunately I'm not, so will need extra training to improve my skills for such occasions.

In a bizarre way, it was a bit of a thrill once I'd completely lost control and was at the mercy of the grass bank on the roadside...but bloody frightening at the same time

I haven't got a clue about the other car...I didn't even see what colour it was

The Police weren't really interested, they just told me to submit a report at my local station

Quick Reply: My Poor S is Back in One Piece