UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My pet hates about other drivers.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My pet hates about other drivers.

I have come to realise my problem on the road and that is one of intolerance.

I have to accept that I look for stupid mistakes by other drivers so that I can avoid them but it is the STUPID drivers that I can't stand. Accidents happen all the time because of their nature, they are accidents, but there have been many many instances when I have successfully predicted what someone ahead me was going to do before they did and avoided the collision altogether and as such is the only reason that my license and insurance have been clean for this long. I could give many examples including the one to Croydon last week but I won't.

Examples of (Definition) of Stupid drivers and their behaviour:

The driver who are in both lanes to either block other traffic or because they have no idea what they are doing, the driver who pulls into the right lane & driving below the speed limit holding up the traffic behind him but because he was 1mph quicker than the other guy, the one who flashes at you when you overtake him on an A road although he is doing 40 and has no understanding of the national speed limit sign, the driver that puts on the fog lights because there is a bit of fog or none at all, the driver that stops at every roundabout because he is not looking ahead, the driver that slows down 1/2 a mile ahead of a traffic light because it is red, the driver that goes into the right hand lane of a DC because they want to turn right 5 miles down the road, people who need to be on the phone but most not getting a hands-free kit and driving like reatards..... I really could go on but won't.

I have become very intolerant. It is my mistake. I should accept stupidity and get on with life. I should stop judging people by my standards of driving and above all I should stop getting angry about these idiots. The problem is that I am becoming one of "them". I am becoming a self policing force. I flash at people who hog the middle lane when I am in the left and approaching them quickly etc. What right do I have to do that?!? None. I am getting frustrated on the road and since I don't drive to commute to work but rather for fun only it is becoming tiring. I love to drive but down South it is increasingly difficult to do so for enjoyment. What happened to the good British tradition of going for a drive and driving fast in a good car?

I am tired of driving with people who are stupid and I need anger management. I really do because every time I step into my car I see so many ridiculous maneuvers I wish I was a police officer. But then I realise that if I was one of "them" the government would have me do more paperwork and be understaffed to be able to carry out my duties. We as drivers are being robbed of our favourite roads, the police are having to work overtime but the sad fact is that we have too bad drivers on our roads. I would hate to take my driving test every 3-5 years but I would do it and hope that I passed because if I didn't then I wouldn't deserve my license. Why are we still issuing a driving license as though it is an entitlement rather than something that needs to be earned?

Yes, I had a few drinks tonight....
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by rahula,Feb 19 2006, 01:30 AM
...I am getting frustrated on the road and since I don't drive to commute to work but rather for fun only it is becoming tiring. I love to drive but down South it is increasingly difficult to do so for enjoyment. What happened to the good British tradition of going for a drive and driving fast in a good car?...
Sound like you're ready for the motorbike.
Dismiss the fools with a quick overtake, as you would a bicycle in the S2000
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feck em all. Quite frankly the standard of driving these days is completely shockingly bad. They all deserve to die a slow painful death. And that's me in a lenient mood.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we all think we are perfect drivers (to some extent).. though I suspect a lot of us have had at least some form of accident during our driving career where we were to blame... I certainly have.

When I commute.. I just switch into defensive driving mode and just try to get to work with a reasonable heart beat.. I want to collect my pension at some point.

Driving for fun.. then I go to the nurburgring
Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 PM

Having lived in Dubai for a few years - I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

On my visit to the UK last month I loved the driving. Yes, it was slower thanks to there being speed cameras everywhere but it was civilised and polite on the whole, with general manners being far, far higher than I'm used to.

There are idiots everywhere and I've learnt that there's no talking to them - I just give them a wide berth and get on.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kobe,Feb 19 2006, 07:19 AM
When I commute.. I just switch into defensive driving mode and just try to get to work with a reasonable heart beat.. I want to collect my pension at some point.
I agree, take a "Drive & Survive" Defensive Driving course or similar. Treat everyone as a potential accident, driving is then actually more interesting, as you try to predict what stupid think they are about to do next.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:44 PM

Actually Asterix's point may put it into perspective a little...

Yes, driving is bad in the UK - there are a lot of people who don't know what the rules are or what they are doing - perhaps they've not been taught properly in the first place. The key to everything is education, and I wonder if it's the people who have been taught by their parents to drive who don't know all the things they should know?

Anyway, I've digressed. I know for a fact that driving in France can be worse than the UK - take a road like the Peripherique around Paris - the drivers are just insane! And Asterix's post made me think perhaps it's even worse elsewhere.

Perhaps we should all go on a European tour over the summer to observe driving in other countries and then compare to our own - maybe it won't be so bad after all..?!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by alex.stanley,Feb 19 2006, 12:44 AM
Actually Asterix's point may put it into perspective a little...

Yes, driving is bad in the UK - there are a lot of people who don't know what the rules are or what they are doing - perhaps they've not been taught properly in the first place. The key to everything is education, and I wonder if it's the people who have been taught by their parents to drive who don't know all the things they should know?

Anyway, I've digressed. I know for a fact that driving in France can be worse than the UK - take a road like the Peripherique around Paris - the drivers are just insane! And Asterix's post made me think perhaps it's even worse elsewhere.

Perhaps we should all go on a European tour over the summer to observe driving in other countries and then compare to our own - maybe it won't be so bad after all..?!
I agree with Alex, I've driven in France, Spain and Germany all insane .....but Italy by god and especially Naples and Sicilly I can only describe as legalised homocide
Traffic lights seem to be advisory......one way streets don't have to be .....babies being held while riding their motor scooters......speed limits totally ignored and the police why they just sit in the slow line smoking a fag !!!

Probably a theory that driving techniques gets worse the further east on the planet you go reaching a climax in India !!!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:40 AM

The art of good driving seems to be all but dead in the UK.

Overtaking seems to be a lost art. There also seems to be a very strange view that it's somehow wrong. I went out for a blast yesterday and pulled out to pass a lumbering truck on a wide A-road. The only car coming the other way was several hundred meters away. I pulled out, accelerated past and pulled back in before I was anywhere near the oncoming car.

As I approached it, I could see the driver shaking his head at me and giving a generally disapproving luck. Why?? Idiot.

I think it's just symptomatic of the average driver's ability and viewpoint thesedays
Old 02-19-2006, 02:40 AM

Thumbs up

Driving in this country has become a lot more frustrating - which could in part lead to more risks being taken . On the continent the style of driving is part of their culture and in the main we accept this as part of the experience .

The culture of our driving is changing though, in no small part due to 'traffic calming' measures that probably make drivers like us a lot less calm because we can't go particularly fast and there are too few places to overtake .

My least favourite bad/dangerous habbit is driviers who ignore lane discipline on motorways and pass on the left. The temptation to close up to the car in front to avoid letting them in is equally dangerous but hard to resist.

I have just come back from walking the dog and witnessed what I thought was an amusung incident at a crossing where the road is narrowed to allow one direction of cars to go through. There was a Mercedes coming up the road who was supposed to give way but didn't and therefore assumed that the driver in the Micra coming the other way would yeild right of way and let him through. But the Micra didn't and made the Mercedes reverse out of the way. The driver of the Micra was an elderly lady who gestured to the Mercedes to go back all through the manouver, by waving her elegently gloved hand. What was a bit suureal was that none of the drivers who had to shuffle back got angry, but I'm sure that nobody who witnessed the incident, and there were quite a few of us, expected this to happen. What I thought would happen would have been for the Micra to yeild to the Mercedes and there to have been an unpleasant exchange of jesticulations and bodylanguage in the process.

Quick Reply: My pet hates about other drivers.