UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My cars been hit.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Oct 8 2007, 10:40 PM
I'll stick my neck out here and disagree with the rest.
If you require an exit that is more than half way around a roundabout then you take an inside lane around the roundabout, ie nearest the center. This is standard procedure unless the road markings direct you to do otherwise. I won't bore you with the 'Highway Code' entry, we all know what it says.

I would suggest as the exit you are talking about was two lanes the driver already heading for an exit wrongly assumed you would be leaving the roundabout also hence the confusion. Its ridiculous for others to imply the impact was a delibrate act, I find that highly unlikely.
Sorry HH, I'm afraid I agree with M1 BJR. I've seen a number of incidents over the years on two lane roundabouts where a driver is wrongly in the outside lane and cuts off a driver correctly turning off from the inside lane. One such incident involved white van man driving accross the path of a lady who was turning onto a motorway slip road. Fortunately, they did not collide, but she subsequently pulled off the slip road, shaking.

Hope your car gets well soon.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 AM

I agree HH was in the wrong lane, and from this page you can see how the accident might have heppened, look at the third exit starting from the bottom right of the graphic.

Not sure who would be at fault here, the Clio driver was clearly in the correct lane but for some reason didn't see our own HH but the Clio driver could well argue (and did) that had HH been in the correct lane this wouldn't have happened.

By the same token the Clio driver obviously wasn't paying due care and attention ... difficult situation, could be both at fault maybe.

Either way its a shame about your car Maria, but now you can get it fixed I am sure it will all be good.

http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/roundabouts.html
Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

On the link you cannot go straight on from the right hand lane

i don't think you guys know enough about the total number of lanes etc to judge guilt or otherwise
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM

No worries if there are differing thoughts on which person was in which lane etc. It is a free country after all . I think I will adopt Cheshire Carpers thoughts and like he said it was an accident, and now let the insurance companies scrap it out amongst their selves.

I am just glad my car can be fixed and put right. Time can help heel most wounds, and just after the accident I was very upset. Still wish it did not happen but that's life I suppose. This will just make me that little bit more wary at roundabouts thanks for all your thoughts.........Maria xxx.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Jel

Only 'budgied' over the thread but in cases like this Google Maps proves invaluable for apportioning blame, i.e roundabouts.

Tap the post code in and switch to satellite images. Print it out and use it as the basis of your diagram, all the road lines and arrows are clearly visible and prevent the other side from bending the layout to suit their argument.

Also with the wheels, hopefully your policy is down as modifications 'like for like'.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Except that the google earth shot of around here is over six years out of date!
(I know because of the neighbours extension)
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Oct 9 2007, 06:40 PM
On the link you cannot go straight on from the right hand lane

i don't think you guys know enough about the total number of lanes etc to judge guilt or otherwise

I had a look on Google Earth and it's clear that you can't be on the inside and expect to leave the roundabout, in other words straight line it like this Clio driver did. But without being there at the time it's hard to be 100% sure.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Hmmm...
Inconclusive
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge...32,0.00508&z=18

If it were me, and I was coming from the west and wanting to go south I would "expect" to be able to stay in the inside lane all the way around that roundabout and then exit onto the righthand lane of the slip road heading south. With everyone in the outside lane on the roundabout exiting onto the lefthand lane of the slip road.

Unless of course the road marking have been changed since then.

In this instance though, that is still no excuse for raming into the back of someone who was indicating in the first place.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

This is the bullshit about two-lane roundabouts;

According to the highasakite code, everyone should grovel round the outside lane, unless they're using a three-o-clock exit!

And if it's a five-exit roundabout, don't use it!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Exactly.
In reality it's never black and white.

IMO There need's to be better road markings and signs on roundabouts.
I've seen some where the aproaching left land HAS to go left, and others where the left lane can go left, straight or right. And even some where BOTH lanes can turn left.

Quick Reply: My cars been hit.