UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My Brakes are HOT, HOT, HOT !!!

Old 05-02-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brakes are HOT, HOT, HOT !!!

Looked through the FAQ and can't see anyone whos mentioned this before so here goes ....

While having my car serviced recently I mentioned that I could smell a hot / burning smell from the rear of my car.
The dealer told me it was the rear brakes and that they were 'blued' which basically means at some point they have overheated . They also mentioned that this would probably not be covered under warranty although they did suggest I conatct the 'Honda customer helpline'.

My car has now covered 17K most of which is motorway miles, hence not hard on brakes. The car has been on one track day but I took it easy as I always do on the brakes to make sure I didn't FCUK them.

My mate came round yesterday with his CTR and we went out for some friendly 'tyre warming' . Went out for 15 mins or so up and down some local bypasses / roundabout, gave both the cars a fairly good workout .
When we got back we checked brakes on both the cars - we were able to actually touch the rears on the Type R, however, even the rear wheels on my S2 were very hot, let alone the brakes.

I'm really concerned now as this is obviously not normal, the front brakes should be taking most of the stress - not the rears.
I wonder whether the handbrake is binding at all ???
The car does not pull at all and there are no strange sounds or squealing etc.

I'm definately going back to the dealer with this one ..... Anyone else want to throw in their two pennies worth ???
Old 05-02-2004, 03:04 PM

2p
Old 05-02-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by majp
I wonder whether the handbrake is binding at all ???
Sounds like it. For some reason the pads must be holding onto the disks. Are they wearing extra fast?
You should relate the story to Honda and don't let them give you any crap about not being in warranty.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:56 AM

My immediate thought was that something must be rubbing, if you're not overly stressing them that must be the problem?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 AM

Can you jack the rear of the car up and turn the wheels freely? It may be slightly warped discs causing them to rub on and off, but you'de probably hear a noise if this was the case.

For what it's worth, I had this problem on a PUG Mi16, the rear calipers were seized and were not releasing properly. They needed stripping and reworking to loosen them up.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 AM

When you did your track day did you by mistake leave the car with the handbrake on after your sessions? This could have caused the disks to warp and now the pads could be rubbing. Worth a look at. Your rear disks seemed to have over heated because you describe them as being blue and this is a classic symptom of this.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Karl2k
Can you jack the rear of the car up and turn the wheels freely? It may be slightly warped discs causing them to rub on and off, but you'de probably hear a noise if this was the case.
I don't think that the rear wheels will turn freely - these are connected to the LSD, which would prevent this (I think).
Old 05-03-2004, 04:36 AM

Hhhhmmm - good point Chris! You should still be able to move them a bit (enough to see if the brakes are binding or not).
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Karl2k

For what it's worth, I had this problem on a PUG Mi16, the rear calipers were seized and were not releasing properly. They needed stripping and reworking to loosen them up.

Good luck!
It does sound like a siezing handbrake mechanism within the brake calipers, or maybe the handbrake has been over adjusted preventing the handbrake mechanisms from freeing off properly?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by rahula
When you did your track day did you by mistake leave the car with the handbrake on after your sessions? This could have caused the disks to warp and now the pads could be rubbing. Worth a look at. Your rear disks seemed to have over heated because you describe them as being blue and this is a classic symptom of this.

Thanks Rahula !

Its a very good point for others to consider - I was very careful NOT to use the handbrake at all on my track day.

Shall be talking to Honda asap, shall post again when I have some positive news !

Haven't tried jacking the car up yet as suggested by others.

Quick Reply: My Brakes are HOT, HOT, HOT !!!