UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mugen vs Spoon - Damper lower bush for race use only

Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen vs Spoon - Damper lower bush for race use only

Can anyone who has actually bought and installed either provide any insight as to their construction and feel on track?

Both are similarly priced, we have the choice to go with either - and as I say it's outright race use.

I've been given the impression that the Mugen is more of an OEM replacement and improvement item - and the Spoon is maybe more for performance at the cost of compliance.

This may however be conjecture

Thanks in advance folks!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the spoon ones to install this weekend, I'm pretty sure mugen/spoon are just oem replacements.. Have you got a thread for your car build?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Banned

Can't commment on the design of the Mugen, however I am sure they are very similar. Spoon damper bush is a twin sleeve design with a solid rubber core - like OEM. The rubber hardness is in creased from 65 shore to 85 shore (scale A IIRC)

In stock here - Web Shop
Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can go too solid bushes I would highly recommend ballade sports spherical bush kit
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Both the spoon and Mugen bushes are uprated,, which you go for is down to preferred brand, supply or price
Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks all. I've ordered the Mugen's. However the supplier have told me they're not in stock awaiting ETA.

If it's more than a week then I'll cancel the order and get some Spoons from Burn!

Originally Posted by Craig.h
If you can go too solid bushes I would highly recommend ballade sports spherical bush kit
That's a moot point. We've got all our wishbone bushes in a sponsorship deal - and in the event of a punt and damage they can be replaced almost instantaneously.

Going racing on £1000 of imported sphericals with a potentially massive lead time doesn't make a lot of sense for the potential performance gain.

Originally Posted by Carbon S2K
Have you got a thread for your car build?
See / Like https://www.facebook.com/NapierRacing/
Old 12-10-2015, 09:05 AM

If you analyse the bush from a mechanical deflection point, there is nothing to gain in changing these. Is the benefit of a firmer bush going to pay off? Not so sure as you have to look at the scale of less rotational bind from a OEM bush vs less vertical deflection of an aftermarket one.

I'd just leave it alone unless it is completely knackered, especially as the suspension geometry has no relevance to this bush.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 AM

OEM bushes totally knackered - so something needs to go in there.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced OEM with poly bushes, they were really soft so replaced them again with hard race spherical bushes. Id imagine if you’ve got really hard race suspension then spherical could be an advantage.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by razzele
I replaced OEM with poly bushes, they were really soft so replaced them again with hard race spherical bushes. Id imagine if you’ve got really hard race suspension then spherical could be an advantage.
Yeah Raz, but not on this particular bush because it doesn't really do anything.

A poly bush is a good call though. Make sure you ream it and grease. It'll need replacing often though, especially with that bush, because it will deform. 5 minute job per side mind!

Nylon bush would be perfect actually. Surprised no one offers them.

Quick Reply: Mugen vs Spoon - Damper lower bush for race use only