UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Muganising the S2000

Old 11-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muganising the S2000

Can you just install the CAI, Exhaust header and Exhaust or do you need some tweaks? Been sniffing around the
Old 11-10-2004, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by TinTop,Nov 10 2004, 08:47 AM
Does the standard ECU need tweaking or is it all plug and prey?

Old 11-10-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine its plug and pray

I understand that the Mugen cooling kit of theromostat and some other gubbins is useful, but presumably only necessary if the Mugen ECU is installed? The cooling kit will probably still have some benefits though - PJL's spoon cooling kit has given Peter some benefits.

Brian or Nigel will be able to give some concrete guidance when they spot this thread
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 AM

Hi Lee, think you only need to go the thermostat and bits route if you change to the mugen ecu. When you change that you have to re route the coolant hoses as well. I'm afraid my knowledge is very limited as only had the car a few months. I also think it is very hard to play with the standard ecu. Not too sure what you need to do with the car if just change the exhaust, cai and header, sure someone will answer.
Luckily I already have these bits done on my car when I got it

Marc
Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TinTop,Nov 10 2004, 08:47 AM
StevenM has mentioned the need for a new thermostat because the kit makes the engine run hotter

Not me.

All I know is that you shouldn't be installing the manifold .......
Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Xd

Sorry Steven thought it was you, oh, and who said I AM installing the manifold
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 AM

"Mugenising the S2000" that
Old 11-10-2004, 12:51 AM

The ecu does not retard the enginge if its hot/overheating, hence the need for cooling mods.

The ecu is plug and play though which makes it easier than a ems, emanage say.

You will need the trio of cooling mods and ideally the Hondata manifold gasket aswell as a CAI, header and exhaust. Mugen recommend a single 69dia exhaust for maximum gains. Oh and also de-cat for max gains.

Im getting an ecu next year hopefully once ive decided which, so done alot of reaserch already.

EDIT: Just done a search see This Thread
Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Xd

Okay I have just spoken with Jakan Motors (head still spinning). Dan says the standard kit will give you some improvements in performance and you should be fine as long as your engine management light dosen't pop on, because the engines getting too much oxygen.

The Standard ECU does not get full benefit from the Mugen kit because is is designed for emissions, to get the best performance you need an AEM that replaces the standard ECU. This can be mapped for the best tuning of your "musical instrument". Oh and you will benefit from removing the Cat. Dan reckons all of this will squeeze another 40HP out of the car!

On the other side it is such a highly tuned engine as standard there will be compromises, i.e. emisions, engine life and fuel.

So, best bet is install the standard Mugen kit to resolve the holes in the cars performance (hot weather and torque), later changed the ECU and get it mapped to take advantage of the cars new set of lungs.

Oh and he winced when I told him I had 18" alloys, seems the car is too light for these kind on wheels and so the walls don't get squeezed down enough to give you full grip on the road
Old 11-10-2004, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TinTop,Nov 10 2004, 10:35 AM
The Standard ECU does not get full benefit from the Mugen kit because is is designed for emissions, to get the best performance you need an AEM that replaces the standard ECU.
Well, half of that is very true, the other half shows at least some bias towards what products the company offers, while not being totally untrue either. It'd take a long post to go into that, and I don't have time right now though.

The thermostat/thermoswitch change do help improve the consistency of the power output when using the standard ECU - they do have a benefit. The engine is run by Honda a little hotter than is ideal for power to improve emissions like most modern engines. So running it a little cooler, gives a little better power, and a little bit worse emissions. The bigger difference is consistency though. The stock ecu is very conservative - it will back of timing and fueling quickly if any temps get near the limits. Changing the thermostat and thermoswitch reduces that effect a lot keeping the engine temp in the range where the ECU doesn't back off at all for pretty much all of the time.

Oh, and the coolant hose changes on Marc's car are an additional improvement - not a requirement, but strongly recommended.

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Muganising the S2000