UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Muddy roads...

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muddy roads...

I was on my way back up from Selkirk today - cracking roads.

I took a slightly different route to usual and ended up following a road I know quite well, but was so hazardous because, for about 2 - 3 miles, the road had a lovingly applied veneer of wet clay. In places I had to avoid brick-sized chunks of mud.

Surely there must be some law against farmers intentionally making the road dangerous for other road users?

Or would it be legal for me to get a wheelbarrow-full of fine porcelain and craft a glass-smooth finish on a hard bend?

If I have an accident due to hitting a low wall of mud, laid down by a warmhearted John Deer driver, do I have any legal come back do you suppose?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:57 AM

There is some regulation, but I can't recall what it is or what the sanctions are for non complience. They are meant to clean thier wheels before they go on the road.

Just doesn't happen very often, takes too long, too difficult, and who is there to see?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:03 AM

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that a farm tractor can legally only travel 1.5 miles between fields/farms, but I regularly see farm tractors trundling along the dual carriageway section of the A1 going into Edinburgh - must be more than 1.5 miles between junctions.

Also, why is it that you can't go on a 70mph stretch of raod on a moped, but it's quite alright to trundle along at 15 mph bristling with spikey ironmongery?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:34 AM

This has been mentioned before.

Area should be marked with warning signs and cleaned up after use. Same prinicpal as marking out for roadworks, BT, electricity.....!

Don't know anyone who would make a road intentionally dangerous, we have a job to do the same as you.

You still have to drive with due care and attention. Driving at 80 mph on country lanes and finding yourself in trouble on a muddy patch will not gain you much favour. (Not suggesting you were doing this by the way)

Tractors can be licenced road vehicles or just farm vehicles with different rules.

What were most of these roads built for in any case?