UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Motorist banned for trying to warn oncoming traffic of speed trap!

Old 06-03-2004, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when the vast majority of motorists have all lost their licences and the police are forced to look at more serious (or some might say proper) crime how are they going to cope?

Pointing a laser gun and recording someone's speed is a bit different to thinking how to solve a burglary or mugging isn't it?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelk, they'll rely more and more on forensic evidence. They're already doing that. Forensice science labs used to provide a service to the police which was subsidised by government. That's no longer the case, forces have to pay for submissions to the lab and even simple tests like raising fingerprints are horrendously expensive. I suspect that's where some of the camera money is going.

Forensic evidence and DNA testing is now producing spectacular results with arrests for murders over 20years ago, but forensic evidence isn't always found at scenes of crimes - far from it. The traditional way to clear up the sort of crime bugging you and me is for detectives to get round the pubs and mingle with the scrotes, cultivate informants, visit 2nd hand shops etc.. nowadays unless the 'intellgence' comes off a computer somewhere it's got no credibility.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:01 AM

I caught the end of a program on TV last night where they seemed to be following a Police raid on a credit card cloning gang. The very end of the show basically said that everyone they arrested was released - except the guy who was skimming the cards in a petrol station.

I guess it is just as frustrating for the Police as it is for us. These people just take the pi$$ and get away with it.

Doesn't mean it's right chasing motorists all day though.

In the case of this elderly bloke and his sign, I can't understand why the CPS would think there was any benefit in prosecution, and I have no idea what his brief used as a defence. There must be more to it than just him making a warning sign.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Welshman
I'm pleased that he intends to appeal.
Hope he has the money and inclination to do it - stupid decision, the Mags deserve to be ridiculed, put into public stocks and have rotten veg thrown at them
Old 06-03-2004, 05:33 AM

Hi Cedric

The voice of reason!
Yup tried and tested !.

Its a depressing picture being painted really isnt it i grew up thinking coppers were the good guys, "if you want to know the time - ask a policeman", used to see lots of bobbies on the beat and feel safe in town centres at night, was more likely to get pulled over by a panda car than drowned in a sea of speed cameras etc etc, and despite my rants i like to think im a measured person - so given that these days after all the goings on ive seen/heard/read about im thinking that plod are the enemy what hope is there for the good name of the police force. I would have thought that for the older methods of policing to work they would need to reach out to the community as well as having backing from the legislating government. The newer methods of policing you describe sadly seem to suggest the polar opposite - less interaction with the community, more automation, more bad feeling.

I think i need a pint.

R.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:38 AM

What's the betting we see traffic law enforcement civilianized before long? I can see it happening. Traffic wardens and school crossing patrols took a role away from the police. Securicor and similar firms now look after the transport of prisoners to and from court, and the people who check your windscreen tints will have full powers to stop you without having a cop present.

Traffic Departments are severely wound down in many forces anyway and it is one way of isolating the police from the mounting anger of motorists - cilvilianize it! Remember where you heard it.

Catch you later!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:15 AM

Haven't they started by allowing "Traffic Wardens" to "Police" yellow box junctions?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 AM

Shopping Centre Car Parks are already checking tax discs (which i dont have a problem with but it makes the point about automation).

R.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:28 AM

The laws an ass

Sums it up quite nicely
Old 06-03-2004, 08:10 AM

Someone sent me this earlier:

Hit & Run death:

Quick Reply: Motorist banned for trying to warn oncoming traffic of speed trap!