UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

motorbikes vs the s

Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I've told this story before on here, but in case you missed it.....

I was waiting at traffic lights on a national speed limit dual carriageway. I was in the outside lane.

A motor bike (not sure what it was) decided to pull alongside (on my right hand side) using the right turn filter lane, and proceeded to manouver his bike in front of my S.

The lights changed, and you'd assume that Mr Biker would want to kick ass & show the old sports car driver what he was missing......

Nope. He took of at a fair old lick, but nothing that VTEC couldn't keep up with. He almost crapped himself when he looked in his mirror and realised that I'd gone with him.

Of course, he gunned it from there, but I think he was caught unawares.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smnasn,Aug 8 2005, 10:24 PM
though it's quite feasible to keep up with a bike in the twisties if the rider's a not too brave.

S

Sometimes I come up behind a fastish car and they'll speed up to stay in front. And I'll wait. I know that sometime in the next few minutes they'll come up behind somthing slower where they can't overtake but I can. So essentially there's no need to rush. If you were in a Lambo/Ferrari/whatever supercar you care to mention, sooner or later I will have you, unless there is no traffic and you can use your superior cornering speed to keep ahead.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 AM

i dont like road bikes.

i quite like these tho.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Banned

I've taken on a few bikes around the 600cc mark and have matched them on tight twisty roads every time. Even on straights I have usually come fairly close to matching them. I think the power/weight figures go all to shit one you put a rider on them.

On a straight dual-carriageway you are seriously deluded if you think you're going to keep up but under braking and on tight corners you can be all over them if you know how to drive. I pulled even with a guy in a CBR600 once on a bend with a smile on my face.

He didn't give me an inch though, and pulled away once we got onto the straight. he then gave me a thumbs up as we went our separate ways, so I suppose he was having as much fun as me.

I've always kind of thought of the S2000 as a motorbike on 4 wheels anyway...
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=Bada Bing!,Aug 9 2005, 02:34 PM] I've taken on a few bikes around the 600cc mark and have matched them on tight twisty roads every time.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:56 AM

My only comment is I wish bikers would look in their mirrors a bit more often. Admittedly, there's a lot of people that should but... I have a particular point to make. I was heading North from Brough on the B6276, one of my favourite roads. And this was in my MR2, not the S. I spent what felt like 5 minutes behind a line of 4 bikers. The one at the back hadn't noticed me coming up behind them fast. I even watched one of them nearly ride over a cliff as there's a tightening lefthander that can catch the unwary. He ended up on the wrong side of the road on this also blind corner. Whereas I was travelling just as fast as him just tightened my lock. he seemed to get scared, and only THEN did he look in his mirrors, nearly shat his pants (bike wobbled from the surprise) then pulled in to let me past.

Whenever I see bikers come up behind me on the road, I'll always itch over as much as I can so then can pass more easily. I just want the same in return. It's not too much to ask is it?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Don't even bother racing medium - large capacity bikes of say 600cc and above ... the S will amost always lose!

With referfence to the encounter that started this thread ...he definitely wasn't racing you!!!
Sometimes you just want to see people try to beat you so you just keep them slightly behind and make them think they have a chance. It keeps them on the boil and adds humour to the ride.

My 99 R1 will do 0-100 and back to 0 again in a tad over 9 seconds. It probably corner's better than the S too (when I'm on form and the road conditions are right) [but not in the wet obviously!]
Old 08-09-2005, 09:34 AM

Bike v S2000 ...... if they are on anything more than a commuter bike they will hammer you.

As others have said most bikes will laugh all over nearly all sports cars in a straight line. In bends it depends on the rider. They have to look at the conditon of the road before they decide if they want to lean their bike right over and rely on a tiny patch of rubber to grip enough to stop them dying!

A car driver may go into a bend a bit quick, slide a bit, swear a bit, correct it and just go on their way sweating very slightly but OK. A biker will probably end up off the road dead against a tree or such like.

As the others who have posted who ride bikes say ..... 0-100 in between 5 and 7 seconds for a sports bike. Even the 'slow' ones are usually under 10 to a 100mph. Compare that with an S at, say, 14.5 to a 100. Half as slow again to 100 as a 'slow' bike.

Oh, FWIW, yes I do ride bikes ....
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 AM

a decent 250 would burn off an s 0-60.

like one of those old rd250 lc's

or a cr250.

p.s. the guy on the ducati was going for it,but it is a nice twisty bit of road with a few short straights.

but as i said he was nervous about the bends.but when we caught up with traffic[aproaching a 30 zone] he overtook all the cars in front.

p.s. road is the a4119 between radyr and groes faen.lovely bit of road if u can get a bit of clear space
Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 AM

In my experience bikes are much faster than the S - I was having a mini chase with an STI Impreza, which also involved a twat in a 318 who was trying to make up for his lack of pace with some lunatic driving. This was all on the motorway. Anyway, a fast bike of some sort got involved and seemed to be much quicker than the rest of us, pulling away easily at will then slowing down now and again to play around then overtaking again etc - all fairly "safe" stuff with us letting each other pass as appropriate. But he did seem to have more in reserve if needed.

Quick Reply: motorbikes vs the s