UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Monte-Carlo or Bust

Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte-Carlo or Bust

DAY ZERO Friday 16th July: We’re all packed and ready to go!

I have never posted details of any of our overseas trips before, but I get the impression that members enjoy reading these types of thread, particularly if they are loaded with interesting pictures. It very often gives them food for thought when planning their own trips, and I know that several of the locations we will be visiting in the west, southwest and south of France have been mentioned on the forum already this year. The intention is to post pictures daily, provided the Wi-fi in the hotel and my netbook hold out!

I must emphasise that this is a holiday trip, and not a hoon. The idea is to sightsee at leisure and to enjoy the general ambience (i.e. the scenery, the food and good accommodation with secure parking) that France has to offer.

We are using the Condor fast ferry crossing from Poole to St Malo, and our itinerary includes the Tarn and Verdon Gorges, Oradour-sur-Glane (which was mentioned on here last week by p800bry), Sarlat, Rocamadour, the Millau Valley, the Pont du Gard, Avignon, the Cote d'Azur (Cannes to Monte-Carlo), and the French Alps. Although the route has been planned using TYRE, I do not load it onto TomTom as I list all the locations we plan to visit by postcode and URL, and input the postcodes daily. This enables the route to be more flexible, and allows us to wander off somewhere else if we wish to.

Firstly, the preparation: Obviously, I went through the sort of checks shown in the thread Driving Abroad which I posted prior to the Euromeet. As I said recently, although this thread is eighteen months out of date the main points remain valid, particularly the documents which must be carried with you, and the items to be stored in the car. I also have a packing list for both myself and my wife, which ensures we do not set off without the sort of things which it is easy to forget, such as adaptors, chargers and spare batteries.

Unlike some members I have never ditched the space saver wheel (having had a puncture in the middle of Italy, miles from anywhere, it’s staying where it is), and it makes a nice nest for all the items you have to stow away. In addition, I have put eight small bottles of Buxton water in there as bottled water is expensive in most of Europe. Anyway, we don’t need extra space, as we are only away for two weeks . However the car tools are removed from the base of the boot, secured, and placed in the third secret compartment. I have reinforced the tool cover, and this enables me to put delicate items (laptop, satnav accessories, etc.) underneath, out of harms way. (Yes, it is bone dry down there )

I bought my Euros at the Post Office (which had the best exchange rate at the time), and loaded my Caxton fx prepaid Euro Card on the same day. This card (which is under the MasterCard banner) has no charges at all and I was very surprised at the good exchange rate I got! It is accepted anywhere where the MasterCard sign is displayed, and certainly speeds you through toll (peage) booths, particularly if they are unmanned (when you would have to have the correct money available, as they do not give change!). It is possible to buy an annual pass, which enables you to use dedicated lanes, but unless you visit France regularly, I have not found these cost effective. However, our route is principally ‘Bison Fute’ style byways, so we don’t anticipate using many toll roads.

I had hoped to have a Tangoman makeover before leaving, but, unfortunately, I left it too late to book him during his busy period. So, the car has had a quick lick over from me! It will have to make the most of that, as, being on holiday, it won’t be cleaned again now (with the exception of the windscreen) until we get back.

Amongst the other preparations, I fitted a new battery to the key fob (although I always carry a spare!), notified my credit card companies that there might be a change in my spending pattern (although the load on the Caxton card should see me through), and fitted headlamp beam adaptors and my ‘touring plates’!

Finally, confidential data that may be required during the trip has been loaded onto a USB memory stick which has both password and fingerprint recognition protection.

Even our mascot, Snoopy, is looking forward to this trip!

So, by 8-00am tomorrow morning we’ll be on the M25/M3/M27. Here’s hoping for a bonne voyage!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have great time. I look forward to the e-postcards

Old 07-16-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm off early sunday morning to do a very similar thing.. Hope it all goes well for you and if i see you in France i'll give you a wave...

Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 AM
PHo

good luck, sounds like an amazing trip
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 AM

Have a great trip.

Looking forward to the updates
Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Enjoy, where's the first update.?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM

It will be exactly a year on Monday since we did the same trip and I wish I was going again , I've been all over the world but this was one of my favourite holidays. Oradour Sur Glane will leave a lasting impression on you and you'll love Rocamadour, you could also visit Chatres which has the most Maddest Cathedral you'll ever see (better than Notre Dame).
Can't wait to see the pics, enjoy!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

dont forget to do a few laps of the GP circuit....you can then get a track sticker for the back of your car....we did a lap in about 25 minutes - traffic is horrendous
Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Have a brilliant time and look forward to reading all about it and seeing the pictures
Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Andy, i'm sure it didn't take us that long, did it? Dennis, have a fabulous time!

Quick Reply: Monte-Carlo or Bust