UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mohair Roof?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mohair Roof?

I've been looking round a few options for a replacement soft-top roof. I am aware of Jack Smith's service but don't fancy the trek to Swansea and back, so have found a guy local to me who apparently has a good reputation for convertible replacements, interior trimming etc. He is offering me a tailor-made mohair roof at a price that seems reasonable. On doing some research, there seems some discussion as to the qualities of mohair versus other materials. Apparently the OEM roof is not mohair - so what is it? Any thoughts you may have will be very welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

OEM roof is vinyl, just looks like cloth, where about are you there's a guy near Portsmouth who has a good reputation.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also looking into somewhere a little more local to me. Ideally in Suffolk, or at least the East Anglia region. I did spot this one the other day. Seems like a very good price for the mohair roof covering with the glass included, then obviously you would need to find someone to fit it.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Just had a Mohair roof fitted near Chessington - very impressed -
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

This thread is useless without prices.

Jack Smiths fully fitted Mohair roof £280.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut

And with a quality comparison, have you ever seen a Jack Smith's roof next to a Monsoon? I have, you can see straight away where the extra money goes.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut

I'm not trying to be funny, but I deliberately didn't mention the price, firstly because a 'good price' is relative to our own judgement of value, and secondly because doing so often means the discussion goes onto "who does the cheapest roof" as opposed to "who does the best roof" or indeed the focus of my original point - which was to seek advice on the merits or otherwise of a mohair roof as opposed to the vinyl as I now know Honda fitted.

As I said, I'm aware of Jack Smith's service, but it's out of the question at this point as I need something fairly local to me i.e. Yorkshire/Lancs. Obviously I don't want to pay more than necessary, but at the same time I'm willing to pay the going rate for a high-quality product and fitting at a convenient location.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

So the research that I've done on Mohair seems to be that it's a canvas (never been near a Mo in its life) and that there is a German version of it that is the ultra-premium product - you'll mostly not get the premium German mohair but a quality mohair with these 3rd parties. I'd imagine it's more flexible in colder weather than vinyl but more prone to mould, algae and rot unless you really look after it. When I do mine after much deliberation I'll be going Monsoon mohair (I think?!)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Forza Minardi
Originally Posted by s2k_Nut' timestamp='1409083252' post='23302973

I'm not trying to be funny, but I deliberately didn't mention the price, firstly because a 'good price' is relative to our own judgement of value, and secondly because doing so often means the discussion goes onto "who does the cheapest roof" as opposed to "who does the best roof" or indeed the focus of my original point - which was to seek advice on the merits or otherwise of a mohair roof as opposed to the vinyl as I now know Honda fitted.

As I said, I'm aware of Jack Smith's service, but it's out of the question at this point as I need something fairly local to me i.e. Yorkshire/Lancs. Obviously I don't want to pay more than necessary, but at the same time I'm willing to pay the going rate for a high-quality product and fitting at a convenient location.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

I'm in a similar predicament to you at the moment, and ideally would also like to find someone in the Yorks/Lancs area to fit a roof, so would be interested to hear your findings. What I have found at the moment is that even with the cost of travelling to Swansea with potentially a stop over it is still cheaper to go to Jack Smith's, although as you say cost isn't the be all and end all and there are other things to factor in. The main problem for me with going to Jack Smiths is if there is a problem with the roof or fitting. I think the majority of people on here seem happy with the quality of roof and service although I have read of some who have not been entirely happy and have had to return, and obviously to drive down again from Yorkshire is the last thing I would want.

I have spoken to a company in S.Yorks who would supply and fit a Mohair roof from a leading supplier (so no issues with quality) for £670+VAT. I believe that Mohair is a better quality material than the OEM vinyl and also doesn't suffer from shrinkage, although the main reason for the split in the OEM hood in the usual place above drivers shoulder is down to rubbing from the roof mechanism. I can forward you their details on if it is of interest.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack SMiths will happily post you the roof for the same price

Quick Reply: Mohair Roof?